Music for my cafe?

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
I was wondering what everyone uses for music: cable, satellite, CDs, what? I'm just not sure which direction to go. My husband, who is one the radio, and he wants me to (gulp) play the radio. Did I mention he works for a COUNTRY station? Could you just imagine? LOL

Heidi

Nov 9, 2007
Iceland
Visit site
We use CDs, but the music we play varies on who's working mostly.

Usually we play Putumayo (not sure how it's spelled), it's mostly instrumental, and it has music from all over the world and all categories. I really recommend them, mainly because the music is the perfect one to create a lovely and welcoming atmosphere.

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
Thanks everyone!

EPD: Forgot to say that we don't have a date yet. We're hoping with all hope that we open in December. Once we get all of the framing up and inspected, we'll know better at that point.

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Strip club music?

I wanted to start a coffee bar in a strip club that would stay open 24 hours. I'd never have to go home.

I dropped the idea when my wife told me that if I did this it would be Grounds for Divorce.

What do you think Anne?

ZotzCafe

Dec 29, 2007
Visit site
If you play CD''s you are technically supposed to pay ASCAP an annually fee which is ~ $500 for us. Just the radio is free if you meet the exemptions. You can go to www.ascap.com for info and a FAQ. We have an ASCAP rep that visits the businesses on our street fairly regularly, other areas might not see as strict an enforcement.

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
If I had a coffee shop, it would be smooth Jazz, some intsrumental Swing and possibly a small amount of Vocal, Sinatra, Buble, Harry Connik Jr, Ella etc..

Anything else would disturb my coffee. :wink:

Orange Roaster

Jun 18, 2006
Orange VA
Visit site
Coffee Shop music

The folks from ASCAP came in and told us they would take everything we had if we did not pay them so we went with radio and 3 speekers no thats right not four. ended up to be more trouble then it was worth and we canceled all of our concerts and all of it. They told me they have spys they will send in.

al