My Coffeemaker Problem, any suggestions??????

theboogieman

Feb 23, 2004
Everett, WA
Visit site
I have a low-end Mr. Coffee standard drip coffeemaker (plastic), because I cannot afford a fancy machine. My problem is since it is plastic when the coffee flows through the machine it comes out tasting stale, like hard water kinda feeling sorta like. It is not the coffee but the machine as the coffee I make is quality. It appears that since this machine is plastic and it runs throughout the tubes inside that I get the flavor of the cheap machine in my mouth. Anybody have any suggestions as I have cleaned it many times.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Try to obtain some decaling solution for espresso machines, such as Durgasol. Run that through your system and clean it out real well. Then do the same for rinsing. This should help clear out some of that bad taste.

CollectiveInk

Dec 28, 2004
Visit site
an alternative

I know I finally ditched my old Mr. Coffee (or whatever it was) and now brew with either a stove top Moka pot (can be found on ebay for under 15) or if I need more than one cup, will use my French Press (can be found at most kitchen stores or online, about $20 for a mid sized one) Both will yield MAJOR improvements to your coffee. Just remember, course grind for the french press, fine for the moka pot.

Hope it helps,

Tim

theboogieman

Feb 23, 2004
Everett, WA
Visit site
Hmm Ok some good ideas! Generally I believe the plastic tubing and plastic resevoir give off a poor taste. The idea you had about the French Press sounds good, but I am not quite to sure what it is.

theboogieman

Feb 23, 2004
Everett, WA
Visit site
I heard Citric Acid bought in a can poured into your coffee machine can clean it out, but I am not sure about this method. Darn I am having a heck of a time making quality coffee from home, good enough to keep in a thermos all day, without it getting sour.

theboogieman

Feb 23, 2004
Everett, WA
Visit site
I heard Citric Acid bought in a can poured into your coffee machine can clean it out, but I am not sure about this method. Darn I am having a heck of a time making quality coffee from home, good enough to keep in a thermos all day, without it getting sour.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I use citric acid on a daily basis to descale espresso machines. It works great, needs a boat load of rinsing, and don't ever let it come in contact with stainless steel. Citric acid concentrate will discolor stainless steel and other metals.

And depending how acidic it is it only takes a little over a month to eat up a brass fitting.

Parts Guru

Jan 1, 2005
Lansale, PA
Visit site
I have a low-end Mr. Coffee standard drip coffeemaker (plastic), because I cannot afford a fancy machine. My problem is since it is plastic when the coffee flows through the machine it comes out tasting stale, like hard water kinda feeling sorta like. It is not the coffee but the machine as the coffee I make is quality. It appears that since this machine is plastic and it runs throughout the tubes inside that I get the flavor of the cheap machine in my mouth. Anybody have any suggestions as I have cleaned it many times.

Here are some suggestions:

Use Baking soda to cleane your espresso maker. Dissolve it in water and fill in the water tank. Flush it through the machine by making espresso without coffee and also run hot water through steam/hot water wand. (I am assuming that you have a pump operated espresso maker). It will take away most of the plastic taste.

You also need to watch the quality of water used for making espresso. Use some coffee cleaning liquid that will remove coffee stains on the plastic tubes. Coffee stains can be stubborn.

Also it will be a good idea to replace the stained and old plastic tubes that you think may be causing the bad taste in your coffee.

(Just an observation) -Fungus is as passionate about coffee as any coffee lover can be. Leave the machine with coffee stains or the coffee grounds for just two days. You will find fungus thriving on it with its white cover on brown coffee.! The point is that the coffee should be cleaned immediately after use. Stale coffee may can add stale and bad taste as you have described.
t

theboogieman

Feb 23, 2004
Everett, WA
Visit site
thanx for your suggestions, but I think the French Press would be a better machine for me, the most simple and easier to deal with. The only problem is that finding pre packaged course grind coffee is hard. Course grind can be bought but you have to grind it yourself and the coffee machines in the stores that pour and grind coffee for you sell coffee that is a little more expensive.