My newbie qestion, regarding the French Press

jward

Oct 16, 2005
Tallahassee
Visit site
Hi,

My wife just bought a Bodum French Press for me. Instructions say to use one rounded scoop for a 4oz cup of coffee. My problem or question is this. The instructions do not say how much water to use per cup. This makes me feel stupid. I am guessing I use one rounded scoop with 4oz of water, but after brewing I end up with less that 4 oz of coffee due to the fact some water is left in the coffee grounds....right? Then 2 scoops with 8oz of water and I end up with less than 8oz at the end… did I miss something or is this correct? Do some of you use a few extra ounces of water per cup?

Thanks,
Jeff

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
There must have been something lost in the English translation of the instructions; probably should read something like this:

1 scoop (which we shall assume is a tablespoon) for EACH 4 oz of water. You may press as much coffee as you can drink (or your press will hold) in this proportion.

mrgnomer

Jan 22, 2006
Canada
Visit site
This was interesting to me when someone pointed it out.

If coffee is brewed strong it doesn't matter if you add heated water later to dilute it a bit. There's no affect to the brew other than diluting the taste to your preference.

Getting the water quanty just right isn't so important then as long as you brew strong, not weak.

Mr.

Feb 6, 2006
NYC
Visit site
In regards to using a french press, what would people recommend to use as a grinder for the beans? I know, from reading other posts, that people always recommend burr grinders, but usually when talking about getting even fine grinds for espressso. Since I don't drink espresso all that much, would a more medium priced burr grinder be sufficient for grinding beans for a french press? If so could someone recommend a decent burr grinder that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars?

Thanks. :)

Dark Majestic

May 4, 2006
Visit site
Hello ...

I use a Capresso burr grinder ... it works fine .. it is not very expensive ... about $60 to $70 I think. I'll tell you what .. I use my grinder every time I make coffee ... much more then any of the kitchen gadgets ... so money spent on a grinder is well spent.

In theory from what I read a burr grinder is best even for a french press since it produces a more uniform grind then a blade grinder ... then again
I never tried a blade grinder ??? 8)

Good Day ...

richedie

Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
I haven't had problems with my blade grinder. I have a low heat $30 Cuisinart and it works well - I use it everyday. I pump and cycle the grinding to get it as even as possible and rivalling a burr grinder. I use a course to medium grind since I found a fine grind did not work well in my french press. Make sure the water is just below boiling and brew about 4 minutes.

Night Guy

Jan 28, 2006
Winnipeg manitoba Ca.
Visit site
I also have not had any problems with my blade grinder. I have a Kitchen-aid I also pulse it and I hold it on an angle this seems to get the grind mor uniform. Press coffee seems to be morforgiving that espesso when ti come to the grind

billagirly

Mar 29, 2005
DFW, Texas
Visit site
I don't know, but I received a Starbucks travel french press as a gift, and no matter what I do (bean courseness, etc), the last drink of coffee in that cup is mostly grounds. Any suggestions?

Dark Majestic

May 4, 2006
Visit site
Hello Billagirly ...

There will be some grinds in the bottom of your cup ... thats normal ... you can reduce the amount of grind by grinding coarser and more uniform. Also .. use a little knack when pouring to the end ... you may avoid pouring out the last drop of coffee.

Good Day ...

craig

Jun 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi All,

Burr Grinders provide a more consistent grind than blades. I use a Krups GVX2 which is relatively cheap. About US$80, so not hundreds that some other burr grinders cost. The grind container is suppose to be static free, but it isn't really. Aside from that I am quite happy with the grind it produces. I have used it to grind for an Espresso machine, a Moka Pot and a French Press. All have produced the right brews.

For tips on grinding and brewing methods, check out these links:
http://www.the-java-cafe.com/Coffee-Grinding.html
http://www.the-java-cafe.com/Coffee-Bre ... thods.html

Enjoy your coffee....