My next coffee investment for the home?!

richedie

Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
Hey everyone!

I ma looking for my next investement for home coffee brewing, etc.

Currently I have two grinders, blade and burr (currently in use), Melitta manual drip system, Bon Jour French Press, and Farberware 8 cup percolator. Most coffee is brewed at home for me and or wife and we drick it quickly. The longest would be maybe an hour in the morning so the coffee doesn't sit too long. We no longer use our old auto drip machine.

I am looking at the Krups Moka brew and the Trudeau Tirra Coffee Pull. I tend to look for the smaller systems since we don't entertain a lot and I can always transfer coffee to a carafe. I like intense and strong coffee.

I was thinking about the Tirra Pull because it is like a French press only a pull system that removes the grounds up and out. However, I have a good French Press and I never rely on the press for more than two cups in the morning so do I need it?

I thought about a Moka pot but this Krups Moka Brew looks nice. I read on Coffeegeek.com that the brew doesn't last long and maybe about 30-40 minutes in a carafe. The other thing is, if I just make coffee for myself which is in most cases....I would only make about 20 ounces and this unit brews about 32 ounces. The review says for the best taste brew the full pot.

Thoughts????

Thanks!

javayankee

I like the Tirra, but it is essentially a version of a french press, so if you're looking for a new type of brewing, I'd say go with the MokaBrew. I really haven't noticed a degradation of quality of the coffee in a good thermal pot any more than any other type of coffee, so I would worry about that part of it. And frankly, I 've never noticed much of a difference between a full pot and a partial pot..

...and swear to god richedie, if you don't get rid of that percolator, the entire forum group is going to storm your house forcibly remove it for you! :D

richedie

Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
Thanks! So do you have a MokaBrew?
I was just going based on the CoffeeGeek review where he said the hald pot was adequate.......

I may eventually get a Tirra anyway......

The Perc comes in handy when I have few people over because it makes 4 full size mugs.....but does the MokaBrew? Does it compare to a Moka Pot? What about plastic parts that touch the hot water or coffee? I hate plastic in that sense because it is hard to remove old coffee taste and you end up with the chemicals in your brew.

Again, we rarely entertain at home...in our condo.

Interesting you mention the Percolator...I like it with the right grind...but it always seems the French Press and manual drip result in a more flavorful brew. Thoughts?

Maybe the Moka Brew can take the place of my Perc for the large brewer....so to speak. Then, I'd have the manul drip and french press.

Thanks again.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Dude, Buy This!!!

Check out the CapressoBAR 351 on eBay right now. It's almost new and you can make drip or anything espresso related in one machine. I bought one almost a year ago and wouldn't trade it for anything I've seen yet. I have a Capresso Infinity and it is a perfect match for my BAR. Just go to eBay and search for Capresso or CapressoBAR351. Later!

richedie

Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
The CapressoBar sound great but I always thought drip coffee is not the way to go?

I keep hearing incredible things about the Eva Solo Cafe.......and apparently richer than french press coffee! I may bite!

I am also looking at vacuums such as the Bosum and Yama but many say they prefer the Eva over all others!

richedie

Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
The CapressoBar sound great but I always thought drip coffee is not the way to go? I always thought it better to go manual drip.......but buying this item and a high end grinder is tempting to say the least.

The more I mess with presses and other methods, the more I come back to drip. With drip I use a more fine grind than normal, use a few extra scoops and the melitta flavor pore (which allow the oils to get through) filters and I get a very strong, flavor rich coffee. The main thing for me is no sediment! Press coffee and I believe the EvaSolo leave sediment in the cup. Even my Tirra leaves sediment. Funny, I do not have the pressure or tension others report when pulling up the plunger and I get as much sediment as any press pot.

I keep hearing incredible things about the Eva Solo Cafe.......and apparently richer than french press coffee! I may bite!

I am also looking at vacuums such as the Bosum and Yama but many say they prefer the Eva over all others!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I Need To Explain!!!

You may have misunderstood my last post. What I'm trying to say is that the CapressoBAR is drip on one side and the other side of the unit is a full featured pump espresso machine. With that side you can make any type of espresso-based drinks you'd ever want. Espresso, lattes, cappuccino, cafe americano, etc. You can also dispense hot water for tea, hot chocolate, etc. The bid is still only $79 with 8 hrs. to go. After having one for almost 1 year I'm totally satisfied. I have read alot of people's comments regarding French Presses and vacuum pots and most people love them once they lock onto the perfect coffee/water combination. Anyway, just a suggestion if you wanted to venture into the espresso world for a great price. Later!

richedie

Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
Re: I Need To Explain!!!

shadow745 said:
You may have misunderstood my last post. What I'm trying to say is that the CapressoBAR is drip on one side and the other side of the unit is a full featured pump espresso machine. With that side you can make any type of espresso-based drinks you'd ever want. Espresso, lattes, cappuccino, cafe americano, etc. You can also dispense hot water for tea, hot chocolate, etc. The bid is still only $79 with 8 hrs. to go. After having one for almost 1 year I'm totally satisfied. I have read alot of people's comments regarding French Presses and vacuum pots and most people love them once they lock onto the perfect coffee/water combination. Anyway, just a suggestion if you wanted to venture into the espresso world for a great price. Later!

I meant to say...I thought drip was not the way to go......

Anyway, I couldn't find that on ebay. Do you have a link???

I am wondering because a friend loves espresso and swears by stovetop espresso makers like the Brikka maker.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
It's the first time I've been on since I posted earlier. The bidding has ended. Winning bid was $79 for a nearly $400 machine. Oh well! I know alot of people like the moka pots (stovetop espresso makers), but they're not true espresso makers. Most people describe them as producing very strong coffee, but not the same thing as true pressure brewed espresso. It's kind of like steam-type "espresso machines". They do pressure brew coffee, but it's definitely not the same as pump or lever machines. I know there are alot of options available for coffee lovers and most are affordable. Get a decent grinder and anything is possible with a press, vacuum pot, etc. I've even though of buying an Ibrik and trying Turkish coffee. My Capresso Infinity will grind super-fine, like baby powder, so Turkish might become a possibility. I will say that of all the methods out there, espresso is definitely the toughest to master. You have to have a decent machine, grinder and alot (quote ALOT) of practice and patience to produce repeatable results. It's not easy, but the best things in life don't come easy. Later!