Mythos vs. Swift

rgs2rchs

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
I'm still trying to decide which grinder to purchase. I like the NS Mythos Plus and swift and wanted to see how they compare. We plan to get the La Cimbali M39 and if memory serves me correct the swift will not accept the cimbali PF. Please confirm. With that said, which grinder(s) would you recommend that have an automatic/adjustable tamper... looking for cosistancy and ease of use.

BaristaTrainer

Oct 18, 2004
Portland, OR
Visit site
I have used both, and it really depends on what your looking for, and the training program you will be implementing.

The swift will pretty much eliminate a lot of the common mistakes a barista makes in the grinding, dosing and tamping process ... BUT it will also not allow the barista to have full control of all elements either. It does have two hoppers, so that you can do two espressos, or one decaf without buying another grinder which is a bonus.

We just got the Mythos in at our training facility and I must say I am impressed. It grinds very quickly and I like the fact that you can set three different doses, all about .10 of a sec away from each other for a double extraction. It grinds the perfect amount so there is no waste. I do not use the tamper that comes on most models, but that is my preference, to hand tamp. The fact that the dose will be identical for each shot should greatly improve consistency between baristas, more so than the tamp.

Out of all the doserless grinders we have, and have tried, I feel the consistency of the grounds is the best i have seen. No clumping.

- Matt

rgs2rchs

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
Thanks BT!
Will the Cimali PF work with the Mythos or will I need to purchase different PF's and if so, what?

Sean

BaristaTrainer

Oct 18, 2004
Portland, OR
Visit site
Any portafilter will work with the Mythos, as it does not lock into anything. It has semi-conical, titanium burr sets as well, which I forgot to mention. They really produce an excellent grind.

- Matt