Name calling: Cafe, Caffe, Coffee Shop, Coffee House?

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
Does it matter what I call myself, what others call me or is it just a matter of semantics? I know the difference between a cafe and a caffe, but sometimes it irks me that people call me a coffee shop, because around here (and probably other areas) a "coffee shop" denotes an establishment like a greasy spoon--and I won't be slinging hash. I'm curious if anyone else feels the same way. You see the ground breaking issues I deal with? LOL

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
It matters what YOU call yourself, others may call you a "coffee shop", but it depends what KIND of coffee shop they have in their head when they say your name or think about you.

"cafe" Diner or "bistro" with coffee.
"caffe" coffee, coffee bar/coffee shop/espresso bar

this is not semantics.

Coffeeshop is such a common term it is like "tissue" as opposed to "Kleenex".

It's either a subtle or very direct form of marketing. It is about positioning, it's about educating the public, it's a lot of things that are much more than a name.

Great question. You can be a "boutique coffee shop" or you can be a "high end coffee shop" or you can be a "[add your wondrous descriptor here] coffee shop" Even if you decide for some odd reason to give yourself the cafe moniker, BE a caffe instead.

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
John, are you "following" me? LOL :lol:

I try to refer to myself as a coffee house, but someone called me a coffee shop today. I don't mind as long as they are thinking along the lines of an espreso bar, but I'm afraid people will come in and expect eggs or something. I guess once I start my marketing I can tailor that aspect. You, know theater of the mind and all that.

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
Thanks, Lizzy... I want the coffee & espresso to come first, everything else second. My husband wants us to have soup and sandwiches and I just want some quick, easy items that will compliment the coffee. I just don't think we'll be able to afford the overhead and labor that food will bring.

lizzy

Mar 6, 2006
Visit site
A lot depends on location too. If you are in a location where people are in the habit of going somewhere for the specific purpose of an espresso or espresso drink or coffee, then the overhead and headache of food and the inspections and expense involved is best avoided. near offices, professional people, etc.

my shop is in New Mexico, and not Santa Fe, the trendy city. Although our area is growing up, it is still far from the kind of urban atmosphere of say, Portland, where there are indy coffee/espresso bars on every block.

I've read much about espresso bars avoiding food if possible. as discussed on an earlier post, I'm considering that. I have around 8-9 employees. most are because of food and baking. if I could find a baker that would bake like I want my stuff, less sugar, no mixes, fresh fruit, etc. I'd do it. right now, Sam's muffins don't sound good to me.

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
Just as an aside, I don't know how far you are from North Bend, Orgon, but I know someone who is an amazing baker. I had her do logoed cookies for me that we use to give to people.

There are a couple of Starbux in the area but the whole coffee caffe concept is still a little new here.

I know someone in the next county who buys muffins at Sam's, brings them back to her store, wraps them in cellphane, calls them home made and sells them for $3 each.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
AJ,

If you position yourself as an espresso this means you will not sell drip coffee. If you position yourself as a great coffeeshop, then that's a different story. Espresso bar means espresso first, coffee (if at all) second.

Either way, it sounds like you're giving it all a good amount of thought. Pick a direction and stick with it, or improve upon it, and you'll do just fine.

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
Hey, John... Hmmm... I do want to feature drip coffee, so I guess that kind of answers my question.

Don't make me choose between espresso and coffee! I love them equally! :lol: