Need advice on a roaster

winderbean

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
Hi all!

I am considering purchasing a 12 - 24 lb (batch) roaster for my retail biz but need some advice on which roaster to buy. I have read up on Ambex and Diedrich but have also heard some good things about Primo and Toper. Can anyone shed some light on which might be best. Roasting experience wil be onboard before we make this purchase.

Obvisously, consistency of quality is my most important consideration. With maintenance and support following a close second.

Also, is it better to go with and IR roaster or flame?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I have an Ambex and love it...I am buying a Toper....learned on a Diedrich...never used a primo. Have seen the Primo though...and all I can say is it is LOUD!!! I would stick with either an Ambex or a Toper

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Okay, I'll chime in on the Diedrich 8) We use one, and I swear by it...I know that Topher has used a number of different roasters so he probably has a better overall feeling on different types of roasters. But I love my Diedrich, it has been a very dependable roaster and the tech support is awsome! :D :D :D

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
well...as I said I learned on one....but that was a long time ago. I have used Probat and Ambex more recently. We are buying a Toper in a week or so....The 120 kilo Toper is $90,000 for everything...The same in Probat was close to $250,000....oh well if you have any more direct questions just send me a pm
Good luck,
Topher

BeanGrinder

Aug 11, 2004
North Georgia, USA
Visit site
winderbean said:
Hi all!

I am considering purchasing a 12 - 24 lb (batch) roaster for my retail biz but need some advice on which roaster to buy. I have read up on Ambex and Diedrich but have also heard some good things about Primo and Toper. Can anyone shed some light on which might be best. Roasting experience wil be onboard before we make this purchase.

Obvisously, consistency of quality is my most important consideration. With maintenance and support following a close second.

Also, is it better to go with and IR roaster or flame?

Deidrich will tell you that the IR roaster is far superior to the atmospheric burner and that you can eve taste the difference in the coffee. The IR is more expensive, but is also (supposedly) more fuel efficient. It's times like these I wish we had an independent, unbiased master roaster who could shop test roasters and give us objective feedback. But the science of coffee roasting is less important than the art of coffee roasting. Much has to do with the bean, the master roaster at the machine and the degree of comfort to which he can operate his equipment - whatever the brand. That's why there are as many different opinions here as their are forum participants. So, buy Ambex!

Just kidding...what I really want to say is that you should spend time operating the different roasters and get a "feel" for them. When you've found the one with the most likeable featuers, you'll know what to buy. You're welcome to visit my shop for some hands-on...I'm sure most of the roasters here would extend the same invitation.

nzroaster

Jul 28, 2004
Qld, Australia
Visit site
I'll chome in for the IR Diedrich. Although i havent used many roasters, I find that the IR burners suit my style very well. I've also noticed that on dark roasts the IR burners produce less of the smoky flavours.

Just my 2c though...

nzroaster

Jul 28, 2004
Qld, Australia
Visit site
I'll chime in for the IR Diedrich. Although i havent used many roasters, I find that the IR burners suit my style very well. I've also noticed that on dark roasts the IR burners produce less of the smoky flavours.

Just my 2c though...

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
O.K.....My turn, I agree we also use a Diedrich IR and found that in addition to creating great roasts, it also roasts everything pretty even straight across the board. i.e., the heat is distributed evenly across the entire drum. As long as you keep everything clean on a regular basis, and have the abilily to clean the tiles from time to time, you will enjoy many roasts hassle free... :D

True Sipping

Jun 1, 2004
Visit site
roaster preferences

A checkmark for the Diedrick IR from me. I especially like the choice of LOCAL SPARE PARTS IF EVER NEEDED . . . thanks to Grainger! Also can't beat Diedrick factory for help.

Lots of personal taste and experience and just plain comfort feeling go into which roaster is best.

Chris Kay

Feb 1, 2005
Visit site
Re: roaster preferences

True Sipping said:
A checkmark for the Diedrick IR from me. I especially like the choice of LOCAL SPARE PARTS IF EVER NEEDED . . . thanks to Grainger! Also can't beat Diedrick factory for help.

Lots of personal taste and experience and just plain comfort feeling go into which roaster is best.
Most roaster parts you can find anywhere....

True Sipping

Jun 1, 2004
Visit site
roaster parts anywhere. . .

Hey Topher. Tell the story about the Probat cooling tray replacement availability & cost . . .

You're right, most parts are available anywhere. . . but Grainger is most anywhere. My point is, when ya need da part, why go shopping. Diedrick also is excellent in express shipping what Grainger doesn't have. Most of the bigger manufacturers understand that future sales depend on parts NOW.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
haha...they wanted something like a $1,000 for a new cool tray grate I had two made at a local sheet metal shop for under $600 I love the roasters but they are expensive. By the way I heard of a 2 bag probat for sale..rumor has it it is going for $25,000 w/ afterburner :shock: