Need advice on distributors and next step going from Ambex 10 kilo to 30 or 60 Kilo ?

Justcausecoffee

Jan 31, 2017
Texas
Visit site
Not sure where to start but I definitely need some advice. Current roasting is done on an Ambex YM 10. We plan to step up to a 30 or 60 Kilo roaster, and automate as much as possible. First question-does anyone have any thoughts on US roasters exchange? Second question, does anyone have any thoughts on food service distribution channels that would carry private/white label coffee to sell into small grocery chains, restaurants, hotels, etc. or maybe some OEM equipment seller that would like to exchange leads? We are in East Texas, and would appreciate any feedback; we would be glad to answer any questions you might have. Thank you all for your time and consideration.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Why automated? Are you not happy with your 10 k? What kind of volume are you needing now and what are your projections for growth? I love my Ambex 60 kilo. I can do 30 lb batches with no issue but run 100 lb batches usually.

Justcausecoffee

Jan 31, 2017
Texas
Visit site
Why automated? Are you not happy with your 10 k? What kind of volume are you needing now and what are your projections for growth? I love my Ambex 60 kilo. I can do 30 lb batches with no issue but run 100 lb batches usually.
Hello Topher, Thank you for your response. Extremely satisfied with Ambex. I purchased it to gain experience on it while my coffee (Catuai, Marsellesa, Caturra) is growing in Nicaragua. We are in year 2.5 of 5 years to full maturation on 42000 plants, and planting 20 to 30k plants per annum over next 4 to stagger replacement crops. As you can imagine, yield is only about 10k lbs this season, and last year due to initial season we had about 1800 lb yield, so we do not have a great need right now. As we develop our blend and ramp up our sales and marketing over the next 2 years, we want to insure that we are in the ball park for capacity before we go to a larger roaster.
Automated because we really want to minimize the art part of roasting (now please don't get mad at me because I love the art, but not for high volume) and control or minimize the confounding variables as much as possible. Volume projections are 1000 lbs per day.
We are looking at US Roasters Exchange for price point and because they are nearby- 4 hour drive or one hour flight for emergency/disaster recovery.
Priced Probat, but they are really high dollar.
Any suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated.