Need advice on home setup and making coffee on a small market

Lonedrinker

Jun 3, 2023
Netherlands
Visit site
Hi there!

I have the plan to sell coffees on a market this summer. It will be 9 days in total and I will sell 100 coffees in 5-7 hours max.
Right now I have a eureka specialita at home and was looking to upgrade my espresso machine. I was looking at Lelit Bianca v3.
I was planning to use my current grinder but I got some advice in a specialized shop that told me that my grinder will not suffice and also the Lelit Bianca is also not optimal for that volume. I am back at the drawing board but I am a bit lost.

I have a max of about 3500 euros to invest. Preferably less.. It has to be a 1 group as my plan is to use the same setup at home.
A part from that I don't have a lot of requirements for the machine. I do think I would have to have dual boiler and rotational pump.
A guy in the shop recommended me ECM technika. That it could work with the right work flow(What do you think?) Secondhand they are affordable I saw.

For a ginder I am now looking at mahlkonig k30 or fiorenzato f64.
Also it would be optimal if I could use the grinder in my home setup or if it is very suitable for filter as I use a hand grinder for filter at the moment.

All recommendations and advice is very welcome! Hope you can give me any insight!
Thank you all in advance :)

Also a bit more information below:

• Budget: 3500 euros 1000-2000 for a machine and the rest for the grinder. Preferably a bit less as 3500 total
  • Drink types: At home I don't drink a lot of milk drinks but the market I will probably make 60-80% milk drinks
  • Drink frequency: At the market, max 10 at a time? It's a rough estimiation
  • Space: Not a big problem
  • Manual vs. electric: Electric

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I can honestly tell you that no single group machine made will really keep up with that much volume, regardless of build quality. If you're hoping to knock out 100 drinks in 5-7 hrs. you'd need at least a plumbed in 2 group to really recover for back-back use. I get that you're trying to invest in a solid home machine that can double for that market duty as needed and it sure won't hurt to give it a try, but any single group machine would be seriously pushed to hit that target range. I'm talking about just the espresso alone, factor in majority being milk based and that will really require a good bit of time/recovery to hit that mark. Don't forget to factor in needing to keep it fed with fresh water, empty the drip tray, etc...
My home machine is a very capable beast and I can crank out a solid double ristretto (45 second extraction minimum) every 2 mins or so if needed using a fairly quick electric grinder and it does recover nicely. I also know what's involved on a small commercial level as I once operated a mobile setup and to keep up with the crowd at times it took running a plumbed in 2 group NS Aurelia with a 14 liter boiler, running both groups simultaneously while steaming up to 1 qt of milk while extracting. That was a beast of a machine that I never had to wait on for recovery.

Lonedrinker

Jun 3, 2023
Netherlands
Visit site
I can honestly tell you that no single group machine made will really keep up with that much volume, regardless of build quality. If you're hoping to knock out 100 drinks in 5-7 hrs. you'd need at least a plumbed in 2 group to really recover for back-back use. I get that you're trying to invest in a solid home machine that can double for that market duty as needed and it sure won't hurt to give it a try, but any single group machine would be seriously pushed to hit that target range. I'm talking about just the espresso alone, factor in majority being milk based and that will really require a good bit of time/recovery to hit that mark. Don't forget to factor in needing to keep it fed with fresh water, empty the drip tray, etc...
My home machine is a very capable beast and I can crank out a solid double ristretto (45 second extraction minimum) every 2 mins or so if needed using a fairly quick electric grinder and it does recover nicely. I also know what's involved on a small commercial level as I once operated a mobile setup and to keep up with the crowd at times it took running a plumbed in 2 group NS Aurelia with a 14 liter boiler, running both groups simultaneously while steaming up to 1 qt of milk while extracting. That was a beast of a machine that I never had to wait on for recovery.
Thank you very much for the advice.
Sounds like you tried the same kind of setup.
I might really have to consider renting a 2 group and see if that's a better solution.
Thanks again