Need advice with grinders

tobyw

Jan 12, 2022
NJ
Visit site
Hi folks,
Lately I haven't been very satisfied with my Rancilio as the grinds haven't been very consistent in size. I recently did a search as to which was the best burr grinder and the Capresso Infinity 565/650 was coming up pretty high in the ratings... now only for the price point - which I'm not that concerned about but in the quality of the grind. As you can guess, that's my main concern. Any thoughts? Thanks!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Actually used the Capresso for awhile and it is a good solid performer for the money. The grind chamber is rather large and will lead to retention and the sweet spot for espresso range fineness is limited, but usable. For the price point it does pretty well. What Rancilio grinder do you have as it might just need a bit of tweaking to fine tune things?

tobyw

Jan 12, 2022
NJ
Visit site
Actually used the Capresso for awhile and it is a good solid performer for the money. The grind chamber is rather large and will lead to retention and the sweet spot for espresso range fineness is limited, but usable. For the price point it does pretty well. What Rancilio grinder do you have as it might just need a bit of tweaking to fine tune things?
It's quite hard to determine the model number but this is what it looks like

Attachments

• IMG_5358.jpg
    IMG_5358.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 13

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Definitely the old school tried/true Rocky. Has 50 mm flat burrs and a quite capable grinder. Over time burrs do wear and can create less-than-optimal grind quality, could be a bit of slack in the carrier threads that can be remedied with a wrap of teflon tape, etc. The Rocky is really designed more for finer range grinding and likely to have some fines which can be rather important for that purpose, but it should be pretty good for coarser methods. I did have one and ground for moka, drip and press for family members and it did fine, but my use 99.9% of the time was espresso range and it served me well.

tobyw

Jan 12, 2022
NJ
Visit site
Definitely the old school tried/true Rocky. Has 50 mm flat burrs and a quite capable grinder. Over time burrs do wear and can create less-than-optimal grind quality, could be a bit of slack in the carrier threads that can be remedied with a wrap of teflon tape, etc. The Rocky is really designed more for finer range grinding and likely to have some fines which can be rather important for that purpose, but it should be pretty good for coarser methods. I did have one and ground for moka, drip and press for family members and it did fine, but my use 99.9% of the time was espresso range and it served me well.
Thanks so much Shadow. Although I'm not the type to take things apart it's always good to glean some new information. Much appreciated.

xisula

Jun 8, 2022
toronto
Visit site
I think you can use that BREVILLE BDC650BSS Grind Control, coffee maker. It features an auto-start function to help you brew coffee automatically at any time of your choice. It has stainless steel burr grinder which is adjustable. Hot coffee is almost irreplaceable—especially during winter—and I liked that the Breville BDC650BSS coffeemaker brews at 200° F as advised by specialty coffee bodies. Its controls are less intuitive, I think need to improve here. Otherwise, it has the option of adjusting the grind size for the best flavor. Plus, you can adjust the strength settings to suit your preference. You can check it out.

Last edited: