Need advise on buying commercial 2 group epresso machine

melrose

Apr 6, 2006
Visit site
Anyone have any experience, suggestions or anything at all to guide my choice in buying either a used or new 2 group commercial semi-automatic espresso machine. I'm shopping for this at the moment, for an eventual café bistro in the Laurentians Québec area and have no idea what name I should be looking at. Please help. Thank-you.

Parts Guru

Jan 1, 2005
Lansale, PA
Visit site
Anyone have any experience, suggestions or anything at all to guide my choice in buying either a used or new 2 group commercial semi-automatic espresso machine. I'm shopping for this at the moment, for an eventual café bistro in the Laurentians Québec area and have no idea what name I should be looking at. Please help. Thank-you.

Please restrict your search between the following only:

1- Rancilio
2- Astra
3- Fiorenzato
4- Nuova Simonelli

Two group semiautiomatic should not cost more than US$3000.00. Before purchasing, try to gain some insight into how espresso machines operate and familiarize your self with minor repairs on your own. There is nothing complicated about how espresso machines work. Please spend a coule of hours to learn about the machine before you purchase.
Good luck

MontanaMama

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Semi-autos should not cost more than 3K?!!! :shock: Seriously?

The least expensive machines being offered around here is the Rancilio Epoca for $4700

Parts Guru

Jan 1, 2005
Lansale, PA
Visit site
Semi-autos should not cost more than 3K?!!! :shock: Seriously?

The least expensive machines being offered around here is the Rancilio Epoca for $4700

I did not make up a price. I gave the price estimate for what I know and sell a 2 group machine.
I understand the "individual prefrences" of a buyer. Prices are added up for a brand name, model, color, compact or standard, or other bells and whistles that a buyer may want. The price can be as high as the wish list. When a buyer does not research the price, availability, after sales service, availability of parts before purchase, the buyer should blame him or herself for higher price tag.
Parts Guru

Juliann Castell

Apr 25, 2006
Visit site
Machines

I'm in Ottawa and Rancilio Epoca runs 5000 easy. I also think it's between that or goig with a Franke Coffee Machine - which is what Bridgehead uses - their superautomatic runs at 12000. Keep us posted on what you decide. I know lots of folks that are very pleased with the Rancilio - :)

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I have listed the list prices of several machines on this post here.

http://www.coffeeforums.com/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

Most 2 groups out there that our being sold for less then $3,000 tend to be used refurbished machines that come with a 30 day warranty. Worse if you buy from ebay.

Most of the time the warranty of the machine falls upon the person who sold it. So unless it's a major part that fails (ie. the boiler) it will subtract from your bottom line. Simply put, the retailer could loose money just selling the machine and having multiple problems the first year. Hence the reason why most 2 groups run between $3,500 - $6,000

morrisn

Mar 27, 2006
Visit site
Espresso Machine

We just purchased a Nuova Simonelli Aurelia - $ 7995.00

Know I wouldn't own anything else, I thought our espresso was good before now it is fantastic

susansaddiction

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
Rancilio A Great achine

I own a rancilio epoca 2 group and a rancilio 3 group - epoca I bought new - the 3 group came with a biz I bought. Opening my 3rd location soon and will be buying another epoca. I feel one of the leading factors in what you buy is where you get it - I buy from my roaster and he's excellent in response to any issues I have - which is worth a ton in my book. 2 years ago I paid about $4300 for an epoca and a rancilio grinder - which is another very important purchase. Mine were delivered, installed and the roaster also help train my staff since i was new to the biz.
Good Luck Juliann!
Susan

ArcticRat

Nov 24, 2004
Visit site
I also use a Nuova Simonelli Aurelia I purchased it from the local coffee distributor who will sell them to you at cost if you are a customer. Price was $5880.00

beefybean

Sep 20, 2005
Austin, TX therabouts
Visit site
Going with an Aurelia 3 group Auto myself. Around 7-8K installed. Hearing great things about the Aurelia, thermal stability to rival La Marzocco, tons of heating power for beaucoups steam. Frankly though, that argument doesn't hold much for me. A guy down the street uses it and I just ask him when was the last time he had to steam 5 drinks in a 10 minute period. At any rate, the NS Aurelia can keep up there. Oh, and since LM just raised their prices, they are now over 30% higher.

In general however, good luck with any of these. Italy is gone for a month and unless the machine is in stock in the states, you'll be waiting a long long time. Italy is modenizing, but espresso is still traditional, and tradition says take a month off in the summer.