Need help finding tampers in real life

I''m surprised how difficult this is proving, but I don''t want to pay $10 shipping on a $8.00 item.

I''m wondering where I can purchase a simple, run of the mill tamper for tamping espresso. I don''t need anything fancy. I went to Starbucks and was surpised they didn''t carry them.

Are there any other stores I should check?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
To be honest you're not going to find a decent tamper for that price. What size do you need? What material would you want it to be made of? Aluminum is cheap, but will ding and scratch with use. The same goes for wood. IMO the best tamper out there is made of stainless steel and is a one piece design, with no handle to break. Of course something like that isn't cheap, but it will last a lifetime. Send me an e-mail and I'll send a pic of my tamper, which is what I described above. Later!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
The concave vs. flat thing is a personal preference. I personally think flat is the best way to go because it ensures even puck thickness. Some say you should match the tamper with the shape of the shower screen, but the puck will still have eneven thickness.

You could make your own tamper if you have access to a lathe. I guess it could be done without one, but would take a long time. Later!