Need Help Please: Opening a Brand Spankin New Coffee Shop

SKA3

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I have been hired by some investors to create a small coffee shop in a very busy location. There will be no in house seating per say , maybe a couple hang out bistro tables . Having owned my own company for over 15 years until a divorce forced my hand . I knew a forum was a great place to start although this venue is so foreign to me . Where do I begin? I have 3 months to get this done . I am able to travel if there is anyone on here who is willing to show off what they created as far as a Coffee/ tea shop using minimal space, not even sure what minimal is. I have a list of equipment, I am creating a name but I have more questions about space needed, where to get supplies . I meet with the investors this week so anyone who could chime in quickly I would be so appreciative.

Last edited by a moderator:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "SKA3"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

Are you in the United States? Where will you be opening the coffee shop? (mall? store front? hotel lobby? airport?)

Is money a concern, or are the investors covering everything that you'll need?

We have a lot of members on this Coffee Forum who have opened coffee shops. From what I recall, it took them more than 3 months to get everything in shape for opening day. Hopefully, someone will be able to help get you started in the right direction.

Rose

SKA3

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I actually have about 3 1/2 month. It will be a mall location. The investors are covering everything I will need . Money is not a concern but I want to budget wisely includng the staff I will hire. Pink where do I begin?

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
Where are you located? I suggest going to a city that does coffee really well, like SF or Seattle, and looking at some of their kiosk style coffeehouses. I was just in SanFran a weekend ago, and it seems a setup like Ritual Coffee's Hayes Valley location might be a good starting point.

at Proxy
432b Octavia St
San Francisco, CA 94102

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
Where are you located? I suggest going to a city that does coffee really well, like SF or Seattle, and looking at some of their kiosk style coffeehouses. I was just in SanFran a weekend ago, and it seems a setup like Ritual Coffee's Hayes Valley location might be a good starting point.

Very good advice, you may want to head to New York City and do the same. Your ahead of the curve in this many store owners say the wish there was less seating in their stores. Our next store will have less seating as well. Good luck and welcome to the board.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
I will have "0" seating in my new shop and when everyone inquired why, I explained my reasoning and they were content with my decision.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
No Rose I did not, it was people walking in asking about seating. In and out, no kids running around spilling stuff or yacking on their cell phones and using the space for a hangout, same goes for the older crowds. Don't want the mess in the bathroom either. May sound rude and crude but insurance liability is high if you offer sit down along with more health and building regulations. Strictly take out. Believe it or not most have agreed with me. Also it means additional taxes.

SKA3

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I am actually in Northern Ohio. I was hoping to just go see someone's setup. I found out I have about 4-5 months now. I am just curious of what a small space allowance and cost to get it up and running. Just a scenario would be helpful at this point so I can at least get numbers running through my head...

SKA3

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Also thank-you to those who replied. I so value the opinion and guidance of someone who has been there done that..