Need Help Revamping Our 20yr Old Diedrich Roaster

The actual questions are on the second post...

So we bought earlier this year a 20yr Old Diedrich Roaster along with the rest of a coffee shops eq. We have a farm in Honduras and we are planning to move from TX to HND next year and setup a Cafe near the farm in town. Our farm thread is here: http://www.coffeeforums.com/forum/c...coffee-farm-future-cafe-copan-ruinas-hnd.html.

So I have done some roasting on a sample roaster and I've looked over many other people's and for our plans we chose the one we bought. I personally love the fact that it's manual and simple. My only concern is it doesn't have many of the temp range sensors, gas gauge and various upgrades I feel that could benefit us.

Before its stated I have looked over many threads and I'm taking an online course for roasting that has pointed out the things we may need. However I much prefer to interact with others and get your advice before I mess something up.

Oh and officially this isn't an actual Diedrich Roaster. It was designed after one and built 20yrs ago by their master roaster of 20+yrs at the time. He built it along with his friend who was a Harley builder so it has many Harley Davidson parts intergraded. It's almost artistic. Almost forgot it's a 5lb roaster, propane and all self contained chaff collector.

Onto the pics...
d33434734ff45df5ba5a8550cfac6ae4.jpg

Pic with me for size reference. I'm 6' tall.
24c67d9fbfcf1d916c99f0ddbebbbd7d.jpg

04549c00f300ad27311c80d4856537ca.jpg

6c6d443f0f28406a4121bcee643fb138.jpg

2c40e0dbc79028c0418e3e97530f491d.jpg

210c9882f613e9fd4122296b1685a91d.jpg

87352bce0dd6db5911a9611910f25b9f.jpg

ce51b2e177c16eae76125ca8c75d4a50.jpg

Start there I guess. Thank you!! -Daniel Kent

Last edited:
I realize my questions may not be specific enough, so here goes...
1. Currently all I have is the inside drum temp. So I believe I need the outside air temp, exiting and entering air temp as well.
First: is that correct?
Second: suggestions on proven brands of sensors?
Third: digital or analog?
Forth: best locations for said sensors based on the pics I provided?
Fifth: specifics to sealing off sensors from outside temps where I place them?

2. I understand a gas gauge is good to have after the burner adjustment valve.
First: where should I put it after the valve for best view?
Second: best brand to use?

3. There is a spot between the burner and the drum where the chaff falls and it needs vacuumed even while roasting. Is there any ideas to stop that or just deal with it? Maybe build a shield to at least reduce contact with the flame?

Any other suggestions?? THANK YOU!!!!!!! -Daniel Kent

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
1. Currently all I have is the inside drum temp. So I believe I need the outside air temp, exiting and entering air temp as well.
First: is that correct?
A: Most people measure bean mass temperature and exhaust air temperature.
Second: suggestions on proven brands of sensors?
A: Omega Engineering is the 'big' brand... its the only company I have used.
Third: digital or analog?
A: I'm not sure I understand the question.. a thermocouple is taking a analog temp reading and converting it to a digital format.
Forth: best locations for said sensors based on the pics I provided?
A: Mine was installed by USRC... my bean mass is located in a similar location as yours. Exhast is installed where the bean shoot meets the drum.
Fifth: specifics to sealing off sensors from outside temps where I place them?
A: You don't really need to seal them off... when I installed on my Quest they suggest using clear nail polish to hold them in place.

2. I understand a gas gauge is good to have after the burner adjustment valve. - SORRY no help here...
First: where should I put it after the valve for best view?
Second: best brand to use?

3. There is a spot between the burner and the drum where the chaff falls and it needs vacuumed even while roasting. Is there any ideas to stop that or just deal with it? Maybe build a shield to at least reduce contact with the flame?

A: Is the chaff falling off in the spacing between the drum and exterior? If so - most drums can be adjusted so the gap is reduced eliminating most chaff droppings. Some is going to happen ...

Hankua

Nov 11, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Visit site
You have choices on thermocouple placements; the original one actually is good enough without anything else. A split wire thermocouple for the bean temp. could feed the PID and a datalogging program; the best option. Of course ET is nice as well, especially if your datalogging.

Retrofitting the gas with a gauge and valve goes like the photo; I'd let a gas company/appliance repair tech install it. Amazon has nice Dwyer gauges, you would need to figure out which range to buy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    625.8 KB · Views: 870

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Daniel - for a reasonably inexpensive data interface take a Amprobe TMD-56... its a 2 channel non-wireless interface. I think I paid around $125 and use Artisian logging software which is free.

Hankua

Nov 11, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Visit site

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Hello Daniel,
how are you? Currently I am contacting my customers to invite them for next harvest in Guatemala. and I ran across this company who mainly buys their coffee from Honduras where your farm is at.

In case that you want to sell to USA customers, he might be a good candidate for you.
good luck.

William Dunaway
Copan Trade
[email protected]
C. 281.253.6274
O. 832.515.7100
www.facebook.com/CopanTrade

Hankua

Nov 11, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Visit site
So you already have an gas adjustment valve; just need a gauge? The pressure gauge needs to fit in after the gas valve, and that would require re-locating the knob. What about tee in the gauge between the regulator and burners; then mount it outside the roaster?