Need help with value of an Ambex YM-5

nettejoy

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello, My wife and I have run a small cafe for the last 5 years. I want to start roasting our own coffee for our use and retail. I am looking at a 2005 model Ambex YM-5. The current owner says that it has never been used due to an illness that kept their business from getting off the ground. My problem is that I have no idea what it is worth. I have contected Ambex (now Roasters Authority) several times and can not get any response. Does anybody know what this machine sold for new? Any idea what it is worth now with 0 hours of use but 7 years of storage? How do I tell if in fact it has never been used? Is there any issues I should be aware of with a roaster sitting for 7 years? I would really appreciate some help. Some leads on purchasing green beens would be great too! Thank you. shawn

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I will get in touch with RA today. The fact that it hasn't been used is a great thing. I want to say brand new back in 05 they were running around 6,000. Don't hold me to this though. I will post tomorrow on my findings.

nettejoy

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Wow, Thats really interesting. They are asking 9,000.00 which seemed really high to me especially without the smoke stack. I'll be eagerly waiting for your next reply!! Thank you.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Spoke to a buddy at Roasters authority and he said used rebuilt 5 kilos go fro $9000 with a warranty. Sorry about my last quote of $5,000. That is what I paid for my new one. I guess prices went up in the last 17/18 years. My only concern is no warranty....not that much can go wrong...better safe than sorry though.

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello nettejoy;
It really depends on how it was stored. True that topher says not much can go wrong but if the motors were wet, or high humidity that may cause a problem. Even birds or rodents could play havoc with it so make sure it works before you pay for it would be my suggestion. You could give him a deposit and have your lawyer hold balance in trust till it is checked out. The price is not rock bottom so the seller should be ok with that.

nettejoy

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok, Thats a big help. I'm glad you were able to speak with someone at Roasters Authority! We are going to take a trip to look at it next Wed. From the photo's it looks like it has been kept in a spare bedroom. Will it hurt anything to plug it into an outlet and run the motors without being hooked up to gas?

PerfectDayCoffee

May 28, 2012
New jersey
Visit site
I just bought my 2005 with heavy use for $5000. But that's because the owner was a good guy and was selling it for what he got it for used two years ago. I know from the forum he posted on he could have sold in minutes and probably could have started bidding up to $7000. which is what i have seen them go for in posts from the last year. Also getting a clean one is important after trucking mine for 500 miles away all the coffee caked around and seized the fans like doesn't usually happen. Also a friend is buying a 2k giesen for like $20000. and has to wait 3 months to get it. My math says I love my ambex. and your price for a never used sounds great. A stack is less than 200. but go to a supply house the depot / lowes ones arent the right gauge. - I love my ambex- did I say that?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Perfect...I'm with you..I love my Ambex! I beat on it for 8 years at the last place I worked...then bought it and had it rebuilt. The thing runs like a champ!! Its a 2002 60 kilo...but runs like its brand new!! Roasters Authority did a great job bringing it back to life!!!

nettejoy

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey Guys, thanks for the great advise. I have one more question (for now)! I received an email this morning that the roaster is missing the Tamper. The only tamper I know of is for our espresso machine. Is this a big deal? How much is it to replace? Planning on meeting the owner today at 6:30 PM. thanks again.

nettejoy

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey Guys, Thanks for all of you help. I looked at the machine last Wed and agreed on a price with the owner. It has been stored in the corner of her kitchen for the last 7 years. The motors all worked and I didn't see any rust on it. I'll be picking it up tomorrow!!
Can anybody throw me a bone as to where to get a new tamper and where to get some green beans to start learning with it?
Thanks

nettejoy

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I didn't see the last post before I just sent mine. I don't think tamper is the right term. She said it is the small device that you need to check the beans when they are roasting to see their progress?

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello;
I think the item you are speaking of is a sampling spoon. Some people call it the tryer (sic). It is the long shoft that goes into the drum and allows you to scoop out beans and have a look at them. If this is the item then you could probably call Roaster Authority to get that piece. Do you have any pictures of the roaster?
Brian

PerfectDayCoffee

May 28, 2012
New jersey
Visit site
Tryer is great to have but my roasters previous ownrt had it taped up with metal duct tape. You could probably use the same tape to block the hole from letting out heat until you get one. I bet the guy at coffeetec (+650-556-1333) knows how to replace it if you cant get a holdof Roaster Authority. He comes off really gruff at first but is a nice guy with a lot of info- He will poopoo ambex though. Ask him about his gas flow meters if your roaster doesnt have one built in- my2005 didnt- Good luck I am in New jersey and get 150 lbs beans from Interamerican-they have a cheap el savadorian that i practiced on and people loved it.