Need Help

tonybahu

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I own prominent retail stores in the Detroit area. We are most noted for being one of the top independent Godiva Chocolatiers in the country. I have an opportunity to add coffee to 2 locations and this presents a wonderful opportunity given the traffic we serve. One of the malls (and it is a busy mall) would make us the ONLY coffee shop on that side of the mall.

However, I am looking to be strategic about this addition. The biggest challenge we are dealing with is limited space. I need to maximize our dollars in the smallest amount of space possible. Furthermore, I would like to minimize our upfront cost. I know because we do great volume with many of our vendors, they often provide us with the equipment. In fact, Island Oasis provides marketing, equipment, menus, graphics, etc. with their program. I don't know if that is the case in the coffee industry. However, regardless, I would like to move forward with this.

So the bottom line is, I am looking for a good name and someone who can give us the insight to do this properly. I know our volume will be good and we can develop a long term relationship with whoever we end up dealing with.

Please contact me here or feel free to send me an email to [email protected].

THANKS!!!

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
Having a local company that can service the machine as well as supply coffee and training would be a good idea. Many large roasters will supply a machine on contract or lease when you buy their coffee.
You have to decide on teh amount of space to dedicate, but more importantly the amount of time and effort that will go into the preparation and service. At the last SCAA show I saw an amazing Bunn system demonstrated - the Bunn Trifecta (The Trifecta Experience) - sort of an automatic automated french press sort of thing. Delicious coffee, and a great visual show as well.

I suggest you seriously think about attending the SCAA exhibition in Houston next month and see what is available. There has been a movement in the industry for such machines that can make delicious coffee, richer than the normal drip, but with less effort and error.

Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
Randy,

I visited the trifecta site and watched the demo. Seems like an automated aeropress of sorts. Instead of stirring it uses the air bubble agitation. Instead of pressing the aeropress plunger down and having the compressed air from such pushing the water through the grinds, the trifecta uses an air pump to do the same?

Looks pretty nifty.

Len

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
Pretty much. It is oriented towards commercial use. Since the operator can program in all variables (temperature, swirley time, etc.) it can be adjusted to get he most out of whatever coffee you feed it. The self-cleaning cycle also is nice feature in a commercial environment. Sort of a super auto french press other than hacing to dispense the coffee into the basket and locking it in place.

Another cool piece of equipment that would be great with the Trifecta would be the Malykke Grinder.

TonyDiCorpo

Apr 18, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
Visit site
Tony (OP),

In answer to your questions, there are roasters that will give you equipment to use if you buy their beans and other supplies. There are upsides to this but be careful and be certain their beans are the best you can get. do not skimp on beans due to the cost; great coffee is not created equal. Besides the good beans, what happens if yo have a disagreement with the roaster who's equipment you are using and you want to switch? There goes the equipment and you are at square one again. Be careful.

As far as adding gourmet coffee to your Chocolate stores, it is a good pairing if done correctly. Not all espresso bar add-ons are a good pair. It's all about placement, implementation and positioning in your community.