Need some guidance from those in the know

jaf721

May 14, 2023
New York
Visit site
So my coffee journey is at the very beginning. Started with keurig and then went to French press. Need a faster cup with less work. Got a nesorso and it’s too strong for me. Tasted bitter no matter the pod.

I like hot drip coffee (cup by cup). Also capuchino and iced in the summer.
Would like larger cup size options too for regular coffee.
I’d love one machine that does it all (easily) plus espresso.

Thanks very much !

jaf721

May 14, 2023
New York
Visit site
I know I’m new here and I see a lot of views but zero responses. I am new and I am hoping for some guidance. If I’m in the wrong place tell me where I should post.

Thanks

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Well.... you really didn't post a question to respond. Drip coffee and espresso machines are completely different animals - neither does both. You can make an americano with an espresso machine but that would be the closest. To get into espresso your minimum $800 up to thousands. A good drip brewer to look at: Bonavita (but hear bad things about them recently), SImply Good Coffee, Technoverm. Google search SCA certified brewers, all will do well.

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
Faster with less work. Hmmm. The least work is of course the Keurig. If you get a digital scale (under 20 bucks usually) and use only 6 oz of water per pod, you can in fact get some mighty fine coffee. I am drop dead serious.

My thought on drip machines is that it doesn't matter what machine you get. If you use your scale and measure 16 or 17 grams water to each gram of coffee you will get great tasting coffee with any drip machine. And if you use the graduations on the machine's reservoir, or eyeball it, or use volume measures like teaspoons, or scoops, you will get mediocre and inconsistent coffee, even from a high end drip machine.

My opinion from my experience.

These days I do pour over, because I have started to really enjoy the process and paraphernalia. But faster with less work, pay attention to the ratio.!

YuriPickford

May 21, 2023
Antarctica
Visit site
As far as it is known, the methods of brewing coffee consists of mere 3 options, namely, the tampering or dripping method, the pour-over method and, the pressurising method. Each method corresponds to an independent brewing machine, and generally speaking there exists no manufacturer who has ever launched a combination of each two of the three. If you what a dripping machine than there is the dripping coffee maker or the equipment specifically designed for cold-dripping method. If you what tampering than the best choice is definitely the French Press. If you want a pour-over than there is the capsule coffee maker and the simple pour-over vessel with the paper filter. If you want pressurising then there is the espresso coffee maker, or the Aeropress Kit. The only one that can not only brew a drip coffee but also espresso which is the base for cupucino and other variations, remains the Aeropress Kit, which combines the method of both dripping and pressurising. It is widely used for making varieties of coffee and is fairly adaptable. The only problem with it is its lack of style and is quite synthetic-like, because it is a creation by a chemist if I get it correct. The second option is to go for the capsule machine, yet the issue here is that it actually is not brewing coffee with these method but simply a tool and you'll have to purchase the capsules yourself. I think that later on you will find that it is necessary to try each of these methods and different types of products and brands to fully discover the coffee culture. Each method exists on its own and has its own unique history and character. By the way, if there exists any combination in the field of brewing coffee, I think it would be the combination of bean grinder and the steam wand with the espresso machine