need stronger coffee - Cuisinart Brew Central is too weak!

FresnoMan

Jun 5, 2008
Fresno, CA
Visit site
Our 15 year old Krups died (don''t know the model, but it had espresso and coffee function). After scouring the reviews, we bought the Cuisinart Brew Central. Using the same water, and the same amount of coffee (2 tbls per cup, Starbucks French Roast) the coffee is much weaker. Using 3 tbls per cup makes it just drinkable. We have tried using the metal filter and Melita paper filters.

Any advice on either getting stronger coffee from the Cuisinart or a better coffee maker in the $80 - $150 range. Preferable not a grind and brew model. Thanks.

ourcoffeebarn

Nov 8, 2004
Wisconsin
Visit site
Have you ever tried a Chemex Coffee Pot? It's a manual pour over model nothing automatic about it, but it makes the best and cleanest coffee I know of! I use my own coffee of course!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Yeah most of the cheaper drip units don't work well at all. I do know that Capresso models work great for drip, but aren't cheap, and most get great reviews.

Drip machines are very simple in design. One issue could be the temp. just isn't hot enough. Or it could be something as simple as the basket might have a higher flow rate, which would make the water run through faster and make it weaker.

If you want to keep this unit try grinding finer or using a bit less water for the amount of grounds you currently use. Good luck. Later!

manual_drip_brewer

Jun 8, 2008
New England
Visit site
Auto-Drip doesn't heat the water hot enough, try manual drip

As OurCoffeeBarn pointed out the chemex manual drip brewer makes great coffee, it you don't want to risk the 30 bucks get a melitta cone or go into a Seattle's Best coffeehouse and buy one of there manual drip cones. Heat the water to a boil and bloom or briefly saturate the grounds ahead of time. You may be as shocked as I was to find out this humble little device puts the machines with bells and whistles to shame.

Try to catch Alton Brown's "Good Eats" segment on making coffee at home. He focuses on the manual drip method as the best.