Needing help in starting a new shop

JessicaGrace

Jan 26, 2004
Connecticut
Visit site
I help run a flower/gift shop, and we were interested in finding out if we could open a coffee/cafe shop in the back of the gift store. We have the space, and we have an idea of what we want, but we have no idea where to start. What licenses do we need? What are some of the health regulations? If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it! Thanks a lot.

Rowley

Mar 7, 2003
California
Visit site
I do not know anything about the zoning laws in your state/county. But I do know for a fact there is a cafe I used to go to that was 1/2 flower shop, only a divider seperated the two. It made for a very unique cafe atmosphere. They seemed to make it work out well.

I recommend you talk to your local zoning board or just the owner of the property if you rent. They are going to know more about this then us. All I can say is go for it and I want to know when your days as a barista start!

JessicaGrace

Jan 26, 2004
Connecticut
Visit site
Thanks a lot for your input. I'll have to check out about the zoning laws in our state and around here. Hopefully there won't be too much of a problem, since my manager co-owns the building we use... Since it's a family business. I never heard of a flower/gift/coffee shop before, so I wasn't sure. Now that you've mentioned that you knew of one, it makes me feel better about it! Thanks again for all your advice.

Rowley

Mar 7, 2003
California
Visit site
No Problem.
It does look like there is a great chance for your cafe/gift/flower shop. I hope to hear from you about it and your thoughts. The cafe flower shop I went to out here had some unique drinks and a distinct style, if you think anything like they do, you are a person with very imaginative and original ideas.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hi JessicaGrace:

Sounds like a great idea. I've seen book stores, produce stands, deli shops, and gas stations with espresso, but not a flower shop. Try the health department, building and zoning departments for a start.

If anything in your town exists like this, these would be the places to start.

sagan8

Feb 23, 2004
Valdosta
Visit site
Equipment for Sale

I have the following equipment/supplies for sale. My lease fell through so I am out of the coffee business.

- LA SAN MARCO ITALIAN ESPRESSO MACHINE 1999, 2 Group compact-auto stainless, black SM-95/SPT/E-N-BLK Serial:603021 - New $6,500.

- LA SAN MARCO GRINDER - BLACK - NEW $700.

- EVERPURE Water system - NEW $325.

- Devinci and Toranni coffee regular/sugar-free flavorings - 50 partials, 80 unused bottles

- All misc teas, soy, rice, chai tea, creamer, white choc powder, etc...

TULLYS:

- 1 NEON SIGN "TULLYS COFFEE"
- 1 NEON SIGN "ESPRESSO"
- 2 MENU BOARDS
- 3 COFFEE PUMPS / STAND
- 12/16/20 oz hot cups with sleeve/lids
- 16/20 oz cold cups/lids
- (2) 5 lb. ESPRESSO $100, (3) 5 lb. DE-CAF ESPRESSO BEANS $150
- (3) 5 lb. HOUSE $150, (2) 5 lb. DE-CAF HOUSE BLEND COFFEE $100
- MISC SMALLWARES (ALL STAINLESS)

I will sell ALL for $5500 or best offer, plus actual shipping. (229) 740-1420 cell phone

wahidkarim

Feb 26, 2004
Visit site
minimum

why not try the instant coffee, its cheap and easy, provide free piece of cookie for every coffee, betcha you gonna make it.. i've tried it and wonderful

Ah...hum...... instant coffee???? Why would I ever in a billion...trillion...years ever chose to drink instant coffee?? Seriously... I am running my hands through a batch of freshly roasted Bali Kintamani Arabica right now....smelling the aroma, feeling the warmth of the beans as they drop through my fingers into the cooling bin..... the espresso machine has been on standby since 5am... the grinder is beckoning....... I think I will give the instant and free cookie a miss :wink: