New Behmore 1600 Plus question

ncgmcpherson

Nov 12, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
I just purchased the new Behmore. It is replacing my ever faithful FreshRoast 500. I have to say I am floored by the better tasting beans the Behmore is producing. Here is my question, how long should I wait before using the bean. Initially I use my first batch less than 12 hours after roasting it. The coffee was delicious.

I remember with my air roaster I did not find the coffee to taste that good for at least a couple days. I am assuming the difference here is electric heat versus a forced hot air type of roast. I'm sure this is all a matter of taste, but I'm just curious as to anyone's experience/opinion with consuming coffee with being freshly roasted for the Behmore.

Thanks,

Gary

Amhas

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Gary, it depends on the beans and what your method of extraction is. I have never used a hot air roaster to be honest but I don't think it matters what method you use to roast the beans. That said the roaster will impact the taste of the bean, as you have already observed. Generally the reason people wait is due to the CO2 off gassing but the longer you wait the more oxidation occurs. So it's my opinion the sooner you drink it the better. I'm an espresso guy, rarely do I drink drip, so although it varies depending on the roast and the beans I usually give the beans 24 to 48 hours rest, but I've used them with in 24 hours, but it can impact proper extraction.

Last edited:

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
No rules, says I. Grind it and brew it the moment you pull it from the roaster, if you like. That’s the way coffee is done in many places. Such black and white rules are unnecessary.
I can maybe understand if you are selling the product to a customer. Or if you are obsessive compulsive in every other area of your life. It’s not a math problem, it’s an experience.
To contradict myself: The main idea I stick by is to drink it within 2 weeks or so.

Last edited:

djlamar

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
I've had some coffees taste awesome when brewed right after coming out of the roaster (after cool phase and all), and other coffees not really open up for a couple of days. The ones that need a couple of days usually seem too tart or sour in the first day or two. Anecdotally, it seems to be the lighter roasts (maybe anything lighter than full city) that need a day or two to really shine.

And yes, as Redswing mentioned, in many places coffee is regularly roasted and immediately brewed. Supposedly in Ethiopia the normal scenario is to roast the coffee over a fire, grind it immediately, and brew it immediately -- and I bet they know what they're doing when it comes to coffee :)