New Breville and issues with crema

Majster81

Oct 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi coffee experts. Here's my situation. I have been brewing espresso style coffee for years, but it's my first venture to high shelf machine and grinder as well as fresh coffee.
I got Breville 920 XL and Grinder Breville 820 BSS XL. Grind setting goes from 60-1 60 being corse and 1 fine. I grind my 4 days old 100% Arabica at 7 and dose around 18 gram of coffee into 2 shot standard basket.
My pull time is 35 seconds to produce just shy of 2 oz or around 55 ml. My pre infusion is set at 5 seconds with 70% of pump pressure.
Coffee starts flowing at 11 seconds mark including pre-infusion and is thick brown. My pressure is solid 9. After about 3-5 seconds pressure drops to 7 and stays there for rest of the brewing time
I initially get nice thick crema, but that sizzles out fast 20-30 seconds and it's gone.
Issue 1, pressure drops to 7 and does not stay at 9, perhaps channeling? since I do get mesh impressions on the puck
Issue 2, crema disappears fast.

If I grind a bit coreser, I get 2 full ounces in about 20-30 seconds, but my pressure doesn't reach 9, When I grind too fine, the pressure stays at 9, but I get 1.5 oz from 30 seconds pull.

Any tips to keep my crema alive longer and my pressure stable 9? It has to be 9 with 30 seconds pull and producing 60 ml of coffee. I am close but off by 10ml.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
First thing... how is the taste as that is what matters most? How is texture/mouth feel?

Second... if you get a lot of crema that dissipates quickly that is usually indicative of coffee that is a bit too fresh and needs to age a bit longer to mellow out.

The mesh pattern on the puck means you might be overdosing a bit and not allowing enough headspace. Try dosing 17 grams, keep the grind somewhat fine and see how that goes.

Do realize that a good extraction will start off thick/dark and slowly thin out/get lighter as the puck is saturated and gives up what good it has to offer.

Majster81

Oct 6, 2017
Visit site
First thing... how is the taste as that is what matters most? How is texture/mouth feel?

Second... if you get a lot of crema that dissipates quickly that is usually indicative of coffee that is a bit too fresh and needs to age a bit longer to mellow out.

The mesh pattern on the puck means you might be overdosing a bit and not allowing enough headspace. Try dosing 17 grams, keep the grind somewhat fine and see how that goes.

Do realize that a good extraction will start off thick/dark and slowly thin out/get lighter as the puck is saturated and gives up what good it has to offer.

Taste is amazing. I have never tasted coffee this good. I mostly make Lattes and they taste like honey.

I am getting mixed results at keeping machine at 9 bars the whole time of extraction. It starts off nicely at 9 and quickly drops off at 7. I will try to under dose the basket a bit next time.