New coffee brand launched, some advice pls

PierreN

Jul 30, 2018
Visit site
Great forum, thanks.

I recently launched a new (ethically sourced) coffee brand. I use a toll roaster for roast and packaging and do sales and distribution myself. (I supplement my income with other work so don't rely on this for my livelihood.) I only sell to independents, no central buying. The launch is now three months old.

What I have learned so far:
1) the rate of sale is slower than anticipated but is picking up
2) some retail outlets I almost ignored are doing brilliantly, while others that I expected to be great are doing poorly.
3) the size of an outlet is not indicative of how the product will perform there
4) the branding and concept has been very well received by retailers.

My questions to members here are:
1) from your own experience, what was the early cycle like for your brand. Was it a quick uptake, then level. Or slow, then gradual growth? Or was it great from the start?
2) is the rate of sale quite stable after a while?
3) what advice could you share with me to grow my sales?
4) my strategy is to build from area to area, not cover a large area at first. Do you agree with this?
5) anything else that sheds some light on this journey and what you believe I can expect to encounter down the road.

BTW, I am not in the US.

aliciapaul

Aug 30, 2018
United States
Visit site
Great forum, thanks.

I recently launched a new (ethically sourced) coffee brand. I use a toll roaster for roast and packaging and do sales and distribution myself. (I supplement my income with other work so don't rely on this for my livelihood.) I only sell to independents, no central buying. The launch is now three months old.

What I have learned so far:
1) the rate of sale is slower than anticipated but is picking up
2) some retail outlets I almost ignored are doing brilliantly, while others that I expected to be great are doing poorly.
3) the size of an outlet is not indicative of how the product will perform there
4) the branding and concept has been very well received by retailers.

My questions to members here are:
1) from your own experience, what was the early cycle like for your brand. Was it a quick uptake, then level. Or slow, then gradual growth? Or was it great from the start?
2) is the rate of sale quite stable after a while?
3) what advice could you share with me to grow my sales?
4) my strategy is to build from area to area, not cover a large area at first. Do you agree with this?
5) anything else that sheds some light on this journey and what you believe I can expect to encounter down the road.

BTW, I am not in the US.

Why don't you go for some advertising?