New Coffee Business - Old question with a new twist!

Greetings all,

While I've only recently joined these forums, I've been avidly reading for the last few weeks, eagerly studying stories of commercial and home roasters who made the jump to starting their own businesses. After a 25 year career in the northern California high-tech world (software engineer) I'm ready to bail on that scene and pursue my bliss.

I have a concept for an artisan coffee business, including retail store-front and on-line (go figure). I've got some capital to invest, business plan underway, I have experience founding and running businesses - but I'm not a roaster (yet). Recently I roasted my first batch of beans on a new Hottop roaster, and while I'm ecstatic about how they turned out on my very first try, I'm under no illusions that anything I could come up with near-term will compete in the extremely competitive coffee scene. I'm also under no illusions that I could start over from the bottom and work my way up in anything approaching the timeframe I have in mind.

One thing missing from the stories I've read on this forum are partnerships. Is there a reason? Are the margins insufficient to support two founders? Are roasters just a rugged individualistic lot who prefer to go it alone?

Have you formed a business with a partner? How would you go about inserting yourself into the coffee industry such that you could meet potential partners who are already experienced roasters thinking of making a go of it on their own?

All feedback appreciated, and keep those great stories coming!

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
We had a roaster lined up as a partner when we decided to open a roasting shop. We were funding 100% of the venture. All she had to do was show up, roast and use her connections in the local coffee market to help get our foot in the door of prospective wholesale accounts. The day I put money down on a new roaster she informed us that she wanted to change the business plan. When we informed her that we were sticking to the plan in place, she informed us that she might not want to roast for us if we didn't give in and change our plan. I then told her that we might not need her to roast for us. That seemed to shock the heck out of her. So I dug in and made a concerted effort to learn the basics of roasting and went ahead with opening the shop without her. That was the best decision we ever could have made, imo.

Good luck on your venture however you decide to proceed.

lw