New coffee cup hugger product

I''m new to the forum but wanted to get some opinions/advice on a product that I''m currently selling. It''s a cup hugger and I''ve been selling locally at craft shows for quite a while but just recently opened up an online store as well. It''s a sleeve for the coffee cup that is designed to look like a corset. I have several fabric patterns/themes but all with the basic corset style. They can be slipped on the cups (any size) and then slipped off, folded up and stored in a pocket or purse so they are eco-friendly.

My question is this? I''d like to market these to some smaller local coffee shops in my area. I know they sell at craft shows but do you think they would sell in a shop? Please check out my site and let me know what you think. Thank you so much.

www.thesicilianhideaway.ecrater.com

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello Stacey, ("thesicilianhideaway")

Welcome to the coffee forum!

You have quite an interesting selection of coffee cup huggers on your web site. Have people been buying them when you go to craft fairs, etc?

They look like something that a person would need to see in person in order to truly appreciate the "craftiness" of the design. It's helpful that you show photos of the coffee huggers from different perspectives all around the cup.

Your posting on this forum page mentions that the cup huggers are made of fabric, but your web site doesn't mention that. You may want to add that fact to the descriptions on your web site. At first glance, I thought they were made of cardboard that had a design and some ribbon. Of course, when I looked closer at the photos, I saw the stitching and realized that the cup huggers are made of fabric.

I can picture people (mainly women) using them, possibly in an office setting, where they can use the sleeve and then take it off and put it in a desk drawer until the next time. However, I can't imagine someone taking their own coffee sleeve to a place like Starbucks or a local coffee shop, especially when the cardboard coffee sleeves are included with the coffee.

Your coffee huggers would make a great gift idea for the person "who has everything" (like my mother, for example).

Best wishes on your endeavor.

Rose

Thank you so much Rose. Yes, I've been selling them at craft shows for quite a while now. They sell very well at the shows, perhaps because people can pick them up, touch them, look at them up close, etc. A lot of the people who have purchased them mention giving them as gifts with a gift card to a coffee shop or with a pound of coffee, etc, to someone they work with. They make great items to stick in a gift basket or to give as a stocking stuffer or grab bag gift. One woman said she actually does bring it with to the Starbuck's and then takes the cardboard sleeve off of hers and puts the cup hugger on so when she's sitting at a table with several other people she always knows which one is hers...LOL. She said she never loses her cup that way.

I never thought to mention that they're made of fabric. They're actually a poly cotton blend. I think I'll go back on there and add that to the description.

Thanks again Rose for your suggestion. I sure do appreciate it. And thank you for welcoming me to the forum. I've learned a lot already from reading the different posts. Been drinking coffe for 15 years and I didn't know half this stuff... :D

Stacey

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello again Stacey,

My inquiring mind wants to know......It's probably a question you've heard a million times.

Can your (fabric) coffee huggers be washed? (probably by hand). Have you tried washing one to see what happens?

If a person is looking at your web site, and he or she is thinking about buying a coffee hugger, maybe they would hesitate because they don't know if the coffee hugger can be washed. I don't remember seeing that information on your web site when I was looking yesterday.

Rose

Hi Rose,

Yes, the coffee huggers should be washed by hand so as to protect the button. I know I get asked that a lot at the shows. I should go back on there and add that to my site also. There is no metal in them so they are microwave safe too is another question i get asked often, so I think I'll add that on there too...

Thanks again, you've helped me a ton!!

Stacey

Hey Rose,

I'm thinking about lowering my prices from $10 to $8 on the cup huggers. This economy is really bad and I'd like to help people out if I can if they're shopping for the holidays, etc. Save them a couple of bucks I guess. What are your thoughts??

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Stacey,

I'm sure many people will be watching their pennies during this holiday season.

You may have an easier time selling the cup huggers $8 each. When I looked at your web site a couple of weeks ago, I didn't notice how much you charge for shipping. That's always a factor too. Another idea would be to leave the price at $10 and offer free shipping on that item.

However, if you're going to sell the cup holders at holiday craft fairs, etc., you may want to try putting $10 price tags on them, and then "slash" your price to $8. That way they'll think they're getting a bargain. People tend to shop for bargains at holiday craft fairs.

I hope the folks who bought the cup huggers from you at the craft shows this summer will be back again for seconds.

Hang in there!

Rose

espressogirl

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Stacey,

I checked out your site and what I love about your cup huggers is that they are a good alternative to those paper ones, and thus, earth-friendly.

However, I do have a question. Would you be able to make designs that do not have the ribbon? I know that since it is corset-style, the ribbon is needed. But if you want to sell to more people, perhaps you may offer other designs too.

Something not too frilly nor girly. Maybe some solid designs or stripes to make it more chic.

Just some suggestions. :wink:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hey, espressogirl! I was wondering the same thing. If I were buying a cup hugger for myself, I would want something in a solid color (probably a shade of blue) with a matching ribbon.

My problem would be that I would probably forget to take the cup hugger off of the cup, and it would accidently end up in the trash. :oops:

Rose

espressogirl

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Rose,

Yeah, you may have to remember though to save the hugger and NOT throw it out with the cup! :wink:

Stacey, I think you should really have more choices in the design. Rose and I are gonna buy solid-colored huggers!

Or perhaps something artsy, like plain black with a good quotation on coffee, or the initial of the owner's name. Coffee-related design should also be cool and I'm sure people will like it too.

Tell us how business is going! Hope all is well.
:)

williamson

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I have been visiting variousblogs for my dissertation study. I have found your blog to be fairlybeneficial. Keep updating your blog with usefulinformation… Regards

rudyy

Mar 24, 2011
imperial valley
Visit site
have not gone to your web site, but 16 years ago, when i was living in carmichael, my local coffee shop (bella-bru) was selling something similar.
it is some kind of expandable fabric with the coffee shop's logo on it.
i've used it many times and take it with me to use at any coffee shop i frequent. it's quite sturdy, and washable. don't know if it is still being sold. of course, i don't live in the sacramento area anymore.