New Coffee-Guru wannabe

MountainAroma

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
New Coffee-Guru wannabe

i have drink coffee before but i was never harecore about it.... only instance and few ground but thats something generic like from folgers, maxwell ect...

now im getting into the real coffee.... i never knew theres so many kind of coffee and at so difference price range... from 99 cents to 140.00 dollar.

i heard Jamaican's Blue Montain is the #1 and most expensive and most hard to find..... i dont even see in grocery stores. and second is Hawaii's Kona.... Kona is easier to find and cost second expensive than Blue Mountain. Blue Mountain is like Mercedes Benz and Kona is like BMW.... do you agree?

i tried this freshly whole bean of Indiopia Coffee..... the aroma is noticible unlike folgers. after i grind it and brew and taste..... i can taste sourness in it. in fact i dont like sour in my coffee. i then again smell the ground coffee and it does have sour scent to it as i dont realize before. Indiopia coffee is not for me.

i tried this small bag sample of Kona for a dollar.... after 2 hours of trying Indopia coffee. i notice Kona is alot better taste and deep strong taste of coffee. i dont like too strong but its just about strong enough as perfect. so far i like Kona. not sure if the sample of Kona is 100% kona or not though.

i tried freshly whole bean of Sumatra..... i didnt notice any aroma. after brew it.... it was.... soso. i dont taste any difference form something like maxwell at all but its atleast better than folgers.

1: i saw this Kona but in the back it says 100% arabica.... what doest that mean? is it still pure Kona? or made with arabica with added flavor of Kona? aka fake? is it normal for a coffee like Kona to say 100% Arabica?

2: whats your favorite coffee? your own personal taste? sumatra? kona? blue mountain? rench roast? ect.... ? jus curious.

3: how does Kenya Coffee taste like?

4: which is least suck? maxwell or folgers? to me folgers dont have aroma at all! im buying Maxwell as backup/default for the real coffees. i prefer maxwell over folgers... what about you?

5: which fast food coffee you like? i never tried dunkins but so far ill say mcdonalds and then burger king. i like the aroma of bk... smell good and taste good although its light but smell so0o0o go0o0od!. mcdonalds taste awesome.

when i drink too much dark/super dark coffees give me headache. im not so much of dark coffee.... trying to lean to medium/ medium-dark but dark sometimes.

Well, firstly a big welcome to Coffeeforums. Always great to see new, enthusiastic posters here. I think there is really a lot for you to absorb here about coffee and all the nuances associated with coffee. For me expense does not always translate into quality. I am currently drinking some Papuans I brought back from my trip there- they are excellent, really excellent.

I dont think there is an easy way to tag Kona or Blue Mountain as necessarily being the best in the world, because of price- there is coffee from St Helena and Galapogos which is even more expensive, as is coffee Luwak. Personally I rate none of these as being top, top coffees.

As for fast food- burgers to be precise- I rate Burger Wisconsim (a NZ franchise) as being about the best. :)

By the way- I would add one mans Folgers is another mans Maxwell House (and vice versa). In coffee opinion on what is best often is just that- opinion. So...while I am saying Papuan Baliem Valley arabica is out of this world, Toper or Patrick might say Colombia Supremo or Sidamo new crop takes the cake. Its the veru best thing about coffee I reckon. No wrongs, no rights- just weighted opinions :)

One last one- Arabica is the genis or varietal of coffee bean. There are many varietals but for most purposes only Arabica, Robusta and Liberica really make it onto the supermarket shelves (or roasters inventory). You can have Arabica Kona, Arabica Lintong, Arabica Excelso etc. Arabica makes up over 80% of coffee in the world today. Robusta almost the remaining 20%. Arabica is so special because it takes on the flavors and cup characters from the microclimate it grows in- robusta does not. So Arabica is the bean of choice for most if us specialty roasters. It gets a bit more complicated than that because there is not one type of Arabica but many, many cultivas (or sub varietals), these also can effect taste of coffee. Its called "Arabica"> because the origins are Ethiopia-Somalia-Yemen (Ie Arabia/ca)

C

coffeeloverlisa

If you would like some information on the coffees you describe in you opening post ( not saying you have to buy them, but you will find the info there! Promise!)

Come on over to www.rocketfuelcoffee.com anytime, particularly the black label page, where you can read about my beloved kopi luwak. And Jamaican Blue is glorious, but like all of the coffees mentioned here, only good if fresh.

:grin:

ElPugDiablo said:
Alun_evans said:
Sorry to hijack the thread. Anyone tried Liberica? What it's like?

You want to try some??? In Indonesia the Dutch replanted most of the rust ravaged Arabica crops initially in liberica, before going robusta. There is still a lot left, especially in Central Java where I often am. The taste?? Awful! However Liberica is very strong in the Philippines (Baroko) and making a big impact currently in India.

ElPugDiablo

Alun_evans said:
ElPugDiablo said:
[quote="Alun_evans":10f81to1]Liberica
Sorry to hijack the thread. Anyone tried Liberica? What it's like?

You want to try some??? In Indonesia the Dutch replanted most of the rust ravaged Arabica crops initially in liberica, before going robusta. There is still a lot left, especially in Central Java where I often am. The taste?? Awful! However Liberica is very strong in the Philippines (Baroko) and making a big impact currently in India.[/quote:10f81to1]
Sure, the inquire mind wants to know. PM me if you have some green available. A few of my customers are Indians, in this holiday season, I figure I will do my part to make them less home-sick - even if means sic 'em awful coffee.