New coffee house starting up, want bean opinions...

Welp. The shop is almost up and running. I have a question for all of you...

What are your opinions of the best coffee beans to use. Keep in mind that I must balance taste and profitability...

What are your opinons on espresso beans and regular coffee beans?

Whats great? Who should I use religiously? Who should I avoid like the plauge?

I have my own ideas on these subjects, but i want to hear from YOU! I want a large varying opinion from both coffee shop owners, and connoisseurs

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Duuuude...Insomniacs...is this the old one..or are you something completely new...there used to be an insomniacs coffee shop in the same area you are in...they had DJs at night...anyway...I get to the bay area everyweekend...I will try and stop by once you are open...who are you thinking of using? You should go and talk to Terry over at Ambex/new harmony coffee and tea...they are located on Drew street near Hercules...if you need his number I will pm you it...Good luck...
chrisTopher Conover

Duude....

This is a completely new insomniacs. I was not aware of another one.

This will be an all night coffeehouse type of place. I dont think that a DJ will work in there, because I am right next to bourbon street night club (the largest rock club in the area).

insomniacscoffeehouse.com/index.html

if you have ideas, thoughts, or even suggestions from everything to suppliers, to decor to anything... i am always open minded to hearing what people have to say. i LOVE! information and advice

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
been a long time since I have been to that side of the bay...there used to be a insomniacs near that area...that was when bourbon street night club was on McMullen booth road...I loved that place..they had am boxing on thursday nights...if you won your match they paid your tab..well it was fun till my friend who bounced there was stabbed a few 10 times and had to be bay flighted out of there....anyway....call Terry...they sell roasters but they also sell wholesale coffee...geat people!!

mrgnomer

Jan 22, 2006
Canada
Visit site
Ethiopian Harrar roasted just into second crack is really good. I find it doesn't need a rest either so it can be ground right after roasting. It's incredible fruity, blueberry finish gives it a distinctive character. If you're roasting your own it would make a great house coffee since it can pretty much be roasted on demand.

wag

Oct 1, 2004
Houston Texas
Visit site
I am not sure what you mean by balance. Either you serve great coffee or you don't. Speciality coffee will have a price point you will see across the board. If you are buying bulk and pay 5-7.00 lb almost all coffee will fall in this range. With execption, fair trade, organic, etc.. will be a little higher.

Coffee to start
Keyna
Clombia
Mexican
Braizil
Sumatra
Guatemala
these are basics, and will allow you to blend as well

jeremeybyers

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
Best Beans

I sell coffee, and I decided on Alliance World Coffees, because they are a micro-roaster, and my coffee is shipped the same day that it is roasted. My coffee never sits on a shelf, and I can (and have) go and see the facilities and talk to the roasters themselves. They are very informed, and understand thier craft very well.

rebelbrew

May 28, 2006
Visit site
You should order samples and try them for yourself. No one can tell you what is best for you and our place.

Love the name and the concept.