New coffee retail location HELP!

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I personally would never locate on a 2nd floor unless the majority of people walk and its dense population. Looking at the google map - you would have to park, walk around the building, up a 2nd floor to get coffee. I just don't see most people doing that. Focus on the right location vs. the cost of rent.

jrojas576

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
Thank you everyone who has contributed their opinion, experience, information, and recommendations it has really helped me see the bigger picture. I have decided to hold off on the shop for the time.
My next step is to purchase a decent size roaster to improve my roast on (learn), attend the February conference in Georgia, Washington in April, long beach latte art competition February, and travel to my home country Guatemala to learn and source from farmers known by my family. At this rate I give myself 18 months to learn as much as I can and save more money to embark on this journey the right way. I am also moving back to my parents house next week proudly since I will be saving $1000 a month that I will be saving for 18 months haha. It’s going to be a long journey but I know it will pay off in the end. I will continue to work my night job as well at a cigar lounge since they try my coffee for feedback and support me. Anyone out in SoCal maybe even NorthCal feel free to invite me for some talks or coffee ! :D

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
YOu made the right decision. I would never open a coffee shop without a+ locations. I currently opened a shop that I am paying 12,000 per month on a rent. But since day one we have 20,000 dollar average sale per week. We only opened for 7 months and we are going up and now we are doing 23,000 per week. I am going to introduce some new product and hoping to have about 10 percent increase in sales by end of the summer.
I have opened 4 locations(2 of them for my friend) and all locations are doing much better then we expected. Ofcourse we are paying top dollars on a rent but you are much better off with robust location.

Good Luck with your dream;)

jrojas576

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
Update: So as it turns out I would have to either settle for a bad location or take on many loans and a partner with majority control which is not what I want. The cost adds up real quick and new difficulties come out in every corner. I have opted out for starting small and I am now roasting 25lb a day and have my first event this weekend in Long Beach, CA. I will be pouring coffee, selling whole bean coffee, and looking for wholesale accounts in a cigar lounge with high traffic. I will be serving the following coffees:
Costa Rica Las Lajas
Brazil Volcano Thera
Guatemala Finca La Cepresada
Mexican organic Decaf