New Coffee Shop Promotion - Changing Coffee Prices

tspree15

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Hello, I''m new to the forum but love coffee and thought I''d get involved.

Anyway, I went to a small coffee shop in Milwaukee that has the prices of the coffee on TV Screens in the shop. The prices change every few minutes similar to the stock market!

It was actually pretty cool...has anyone else thought of this? Seems like a unique way to compete with Starbucks...offer something different.

I''m looking into opening a coffee shop myself here in San Francisco, CA.

Anyway, you can check out the stock market pricing concept here:

http://www.TheDrinkExchange.com

What do you guys think? Should I give it a shot?

Tweaks

Mar 30, 2007
SC
Visit site
That's pretty neat, and would be interesting to watch, but I would be upset if the latte I had yesterday was more expensive today just because it is currently more or less popular. I like knowing what I am spending before I even walk in the door.

tspree15

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
That's true...I suppose the coffee shop could over a "happy hour" with changing drink prices that are all below the normal cost.

That would be a great way to beat the competition and offer something different.

tspree15

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
John P said:
Gimmick=not quality product

How about using f**ckin excellent coffee and charging accordingly?

That works too...but if you want to steal some of Starbucks customers away this is a method of getting them in the door

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
tspree wrote:
...but if you want to steal some of Starbucks customers away this is a method of getting them in the door

Still a gimmick. Might as well have an inflatable gorilla outside holding a big cup of coffee. You can easily attract the wrong kind of customers with those methods. Why?

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
John P said:
Still a gimmick. Might as well have an inflatable gorilla outside holding a big cup of coffee.

Inflatable gorilla!?! It's perfect! We'll make a fortune!

Gorilla_sm.jpg

JavaJunkie

Mar 29, 2007
Visit site
I live in Milwaukee - what was the name of this shop? I don't particularly like the idea of paying a different price every day. I agree that this is just a "gimmick". We happened to discuss pricing in my entrepreneur business class last night. We were told that pricing is very important. If you price your product too low (to try to gain business from the competition), it will backfire and it's very difficult to then raise the price later on and get away with it. As a consumer, if I noticed that one coffee shop had very low prices compared to another, I would assume their products were inferior and I would pay a little more at the other place. I'm interested to see how long this particular shop will last.

kc1

Aug 26, 2006
Visit site
Methinks tspree15 is simply trying to plug their own (useless) product. Gimmicks do not create loyal customers...