New coffee shop

shawarma

Dec 18, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
Just as most coffee shop owners, I love to drink coffee. The only problem is that the only accessible coffee shop in my vicinity is Starbucks. Actually, there are 5 Starbucks' within a 4 mile radius near my house. That's insane...the only reason I go there is because it is convenient. Their coffee really isn't that good. Anyways, I have been doing some research on opening a coffee shop.
I have conducted a survey of my target market in the area (with positive results!), worked out most of the costs, valued land and nearby businesses, viewed various industry reports and reviewed projections of future foot traffic and local attractions around. What I realized recently is that while I have been spending time trying to build the perfect atmosphere and come up with ways to draw attention and gain repeat customers, I completely neglected the quality of coffee that I want to offer to my customers (basically, I fell into a Starbucks model). So now, I am holding off on my research and possibly pushing back the date I expected to open this dream shop of mine.

I need to find the perfect coffee to match my plan and I don't know where to start. If anyone has any ideas, I'm here to listen.

Thanks

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "shawarma"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums!

Where are you planning on opening your coffee shop? Will it be somewhere within the 4 mile radius and the 5 Starbucks? I'm sure the only reason why lots of people go to Starbucks is because it's convenient. If Starbucks coffee is the only coffee you've been experiencing, you'll need to do a lot of exploring (and tasting) to learn what good coffee is.

Are there any other coffee shops in your area where you could go and explore the coffee that they offer? Are there any local roasters nearby where you'll be buying your coffee from? Sometimes, when people obtain the coffee machines, the coffee is a part of the deal. Have you explored any of those options?

Rose

shawarma

Dec 18, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
Hey Rose-Actually, yes. It will be within the radius of the Starbucks zone. Don't get me wrong, I've had great coffee before but when I'm in a hurry, I have to settle for what is around. There's also a Dunkin Donuts in the vicinity but what they offer is completely different from Starbucks' model. In the area I live in, people are looking to meet up in an inviting atmosphere and that is what Starbucks offers them.
I looked up some local roasters but most of them have actual locations where they sell individual cups to consumers as well as sell in wholesale. What I am looking for is a small roaster (maybe an individual working out of a garage?) who is trying to expand his/her business and is willing to partner up with me to grow alongside my own business. This way, the shop will have its own unique brand of coffee and at the same time, it will help out those who are trying to get on their feet.

My vision is that I want to provide the whole experience. Not just another coffee shop with either good coffee or a good atmosphere, but I want to deliver the entire package.

Samer

ps. I'm not in a rush to launch. I want everything to be set before diving into this.

shawarma

Dec 18, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
Hey John, I've actually been to Octane Coffee many times and I really enjoyed their coffee. They never let me down. But as I told Rose, I want to see if I can help a small roaster with a great product get on his feet and grow with me at the same time.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Ditto to what PinkRose said.

Whether small, local, or what-have-you, if the coffee and roast quality it isn't as good or better than the best currently available, then it's not worth using.

Zimmy

Dec 19, 2013
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Echoing the comments from PinkRose and John... In my opinion it will be very difficult to shape essentially 2 business at once... If you find the right pairing, awesome!, go for it... But don't let that hold you back if it's not there... There is some amazing coffee out there, sustainable coffee... Wether its local or a couple hundred miles away the end goal is to preserve the sustainability of the industry... Many home roasters don't know exactly what they are sourcing... So make sure you pair up with one that understands the entire supply chain... Sounds like Monte may be on the right path for a small start up roaster...

Side thought...
Have you thought about using a larger roaster for startup and then phasing in a smaller local roaster and helping them grow once you are stable?

Cheers!
Chris Zimmerman
Co-Owner/Operator Ellipsis Coffeehouse

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I want to see if I can help a small roaster with a great product get on his feet and grow with me at the same time.

Brilliant idea, helping small roasters grows with you. However, we don’t know if they can sustain if you need a big volume when you’re shop grow fast. You still need back up, thus feasibility study is needed.

shawarma

Dec 18, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
I appreciate the advice guys, I've been looking into both small and large roasters and I'm still trying to figure out logistics and all that good stuff. We'll see what happens!!

CafedelaLomaSC

Jan 13, 2014
Greer SC
Visit site
Hello shawarma, If you are looking for great quality coffee to roast, we are bringing our own specialty estate coffee from our fincas (farms) in Colombia, green beans that have been analyzed and scored by a Q Grader taster licensed by the SCAA, you will definitely provide an excellent and fresh product to your customers once you get your coffee shop running. Let me know if you would like more information and good luck with your plans!

Cafe de la Loma SC

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
my favorite local coffee shop uses multiple roasters. it keeps things flexible for them, and as a consumer you can go one step beyond coffee selection to roaster selection when you get a cup of their coffee. what do you all think of that?

delimacoffee

Jun 5, 2014
Cicero, New York
Visit site
Just as most coffee shop owners, I love to drink coffee. The only problem is that the only accessible coffee shop in my vicinity is Starbucks. Actually, there are 5 Starbucks' within a 4 mile radius near my house. That's insane...the only reason I go there is because it is convenient. Their coffee really isn't that good. Anyways, I have been doing some research on opening a coffee shop.
I have conducted a survey of my target market in the area (with positive results!), worked out most of the costs, valued land and nearby businesses, viewed various industry reports and reviewed projections of future foot traffic and local attractions around. What I realized recently is that while I have been spending time trying to build the perfect atmosphere and come up with ways to draw attention and gain repeat customers, I completely neglected the quality of coffee that I want to offer to my customers (basically, I fell into a Starbucks model). So now, I am holding off on my research and possibly pushing back the date I expected to open this dream shop of mine.

I need to find the perfect coffee to match my plan and I don't know where to start. If anyone has any ideas, I'm here to listen.

Thanks

We can supply great coffee. Google "Delima Coffee" or check my bio here on Coffee Forums.