new espresso machine but which one!?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
To be honest neither is going to be great. Autos and super autos just don't get much respect and they shouldn't.... They do offer convenience and repeatability, but that's it. They might save time, but surely require cleaning and maintenance just like anything else. Most use some type of thermoblock heating system and they do not crank out the required temperature and pressure needed for great espresso. Most are also limited in how much they can be adjusted.

I'd recommend a good semi-auto machine and grinder. Might be more time consuming, but you will be rewarded with much better coffee.

Go to youtube and watch some of the videos with autos and super autos and look at the crap they produce. Later!

miatagirl

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
If you are a true coffee enthusiast, a semi auto is better...and cheaper! But for me, I don't have much time in the mornings, I have 2 toddlers and a husband who demand breakfast and other things, so a super automatic is absolutely wonderful in my situation. It's fast, easy and there's minimal cleanup. I bought a Saeco Odeo Giro-refurbished and love it. It puts out a decent cup of esspresso, latte, or long coffee, whatever you want, and has some cool features. Although I would prefer a different frothing wand, everything else is pretty good. It also puts out a good crema, similar to my older semi-automatic.