New Guy in Nashville

TENN

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey y'all!

John from Nashville here.

Quick bio:

How I got into coffee: Got a job at a Ford dealership selling cars in 2004 and there was always a pot of coffee on the burner. Didn't care much for it at the time, and drank it with sugar & creamer. A friend of mine always drank his black, and said he started drinking it black after not having access to cream & sugar for a few days, and just learned to like it that way. Also, said if you drink it black, you'll never be left wanting if there's no cream and sugar around. Sounded reasonable to me, so I learned to drink it black and haven't looked back since. I will put a small amount of cream and sugar if I drink iced coffee.

How I found this forum: Well, recently my several-year-old Mr. Coffee died, and I found myself at Wal-Mart, looking at coffeemakers. Saw many conventional home units with buttons in the front, etc, and also saw the Keurigs and their clones. Having sampled Keurig coffee and not being a fan, I didn't even consider those.

One unit that caught my eye was made by BUNN, the ubiquitous manufacturer of commercial coffee machines. The unit was industrial in appearance, which I liked, and had only one lighted switch on the front. It was also expensive, by my standards, at $100. So, I did some research on the BUNN. It was a home version of their commercial units. When I read up on the operation of the unit, I liked the differences between it and regular automatic drip units. I liked the fact that it pre-heated the water to the correct brewing temp, giving you not only consistent, but fast coffee. And it can't "over-brew" the coffee, since the cycle is only 3 min. per pot.

One thing I don't like is the idea of the water being kept hot all the time regardless if you're using the unit or not. So I followed the lead of others and bought a timer at Wal-Mart for $15 that has 7-day settings. I just program it to turn the BUNN on 30 min before I get up.

Ive had problems with past units being inconsistent in water temp, and also with the coffee having what I call a "plasticky" taste. No such problems with the BUNN - it produces a very rich-tasting, non-bitter, HOT cup of coffee every time I use it.

Some guys on other forums talked me into trying some fresh-roasted coffee, so I went to a local coffee shop and bought 1/2 lb of beans that had been roasted only 4 days prior, and wow, what a difference - not only in aroma, but in taste as well. The guy behind the counter didn't know what variety it was, but more important to me was the freshness. I think I'm going to have to start making a trip to the local roaster on a regular basis for some FRESH roasted beans!

I had also heard that good coffee depends on good water, so I also bought a Zero Water filtering dispenser, which is awesome. Never had such good water! It'll prevent scale buildup in my unit, too.

So, anyway, that's how I found y'all - just thru doing a bunch of research on coffee and coffeemakers!

Other interests besides coffee: Motorcycles, cars, trucks, airplanes, boats, trains, etc.

Hobbies: Running, mountain bikes, cycling, working out, riding motorcycles (sportbikes and dirt bikes), working on my truck

Anyway, good to be here. Looking forward to learning a lot about coffee here!

John

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "Tenn" (John)

Welcome to the Coffee Forums!

Thank you for such a detailed introduction. It's always fun to read about our new members and their experiences with the world of coffee.

It sounds like you've progressed pretty far towards achieving coffee enjoyment. There is always so much to learn and discover!

Again, welcome. We hope you'll visit us often.

Rose

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Welcome John. We love hearing about the coffee experience and you sure have found the right way of enjoying coffee all on your own.
there are many of us have always thought the coffee should taste bitter and awful before we found the true flavor and greatness of coffee like you have.

Coffee can be very expensive hobby as well as one of the cheapest to achieve great experience.

for me, when I found the coffee(my True Love) I ended up buying and making my own coffee roaster and bought myself a small coffee shop.

Now I am married to the business. ;)

Again, welcome aboard and hope to talk to about different topic.

Oh by the way, I am from Motor City and I love American Muscle cars. ;)

TENN

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Welcome John. We love hearing about the coffee experience and you sure have found the right way of enjoying coffee all on your own.
there are many of us have always thought the coffee should taste bitter and awful before we found the true flavor and greatness of coffee like you have.

Coffee can be very expensive hobby as well as one of the cheapest to achieve great experience.

for me, when I found the coffee(my True Love) I ended up buying and making my own coffee roaster and bought myself a small coffee shop.

Now I am married to the business. ;)

Again, welcome aboard and hope to talk to about different topic.

Oh by the way, I am from Motor City and I love American Muscle cars. ;)

Wow! That's awesome!

Bought your own coffee shop? Yeah, I'd say you like coffee!

Do you have a favorite variety?

I'd love to own a muscle car one day. I love them all.

TENN

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
welcome to the coffeeforums John! looks like at least 3 of us like cars as well as coffee. i own a 69 Plymouth Roadrunner

Very cool!

My paternal grandfather was a MOPAR tech and service manager. Love Chryslers, especially from 1973-prior.

Which engine do you have in your RR?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Thanks, Namballe!

This morning someone sent me a message and suggested that I be more liberal in my moderating of the Coffee Forum. I think I'm pretty liberal already.

In the past, some of the the conversations often drifted off into other non-coffee related topics such as sports, cars, politics, television shows, etc. and the posting got way off topic, which made it difficult for the moderators to read each post and deal with who's making sly remarks, or voicing strong opinions, calling names, etc.

We need to keep the topics on track. Once someone writes an introduction and the thread goes off track, it's hard to get it back on. Even though there is more to life than coffee, the Introduction area is basically a place to tell people about yourself. If you want more off-topic conversation with another forum member, then that's what the private message area is for.

A friendly reminder (to everyone) tends to slow things down a bit.

Yes....and now back to coffee!

Rose

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
In the past, some of the the conversations often drifted off into other non-coffee related topics such as sports, cars, politics, television shows, etc. and the posting got way off topic, which made it difficult for the moderators to read each post and deal with who's making sly remarks, or voicing strong opinions, calling names, etc.
it's bound to happen from time to time.

TENN

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, Namballe!

This morning someone sent me a message and suggested that I be more liberal in my moderating of the Coffee Forum. I think I'm pretty liberal already.

Rose

Actually, I suggested that you be more liberal with your moderation in the INTRODUCTIONS section in order to let members get to know something about one another.

Thanks,