New guy needing help with pour over..!

Harry_Will1

Apr 20, 2020
Visit site
Hello everyone.
I recently decided to try a hario v60 as I really enjoy the fruity notes I can occasionally get with my TV and thought I might be able to dial it in a bit more. However I have tried a few different techniques, most recently Scott Rao tech, and grind settings to get a good cup. The coffee I am using is a freshly opened bag that was roasted less than a month ago. Filtered or bottled water. Anyway I've adjusted by grind size from 15-28 on the virtuoso and for the life of me can't get rid of that bitter taste. I feel like the grind size is getting really coarse at this point and most suggestions I've seen have been on the lower grind settings. You guys have any advice??

Tbone666

Jul 28, 2019
Visit site
With pour overs it’s important to note several factors in your extraction...

1.) Temp (198-204 degrees)
2.) Time (2:00-2:30)
3.) Ratio (8.5 grams per 5 oz. water approx and to taste)

All of the above parameters are adjustable to taste, but starting with filtered water and pre-warming your cup and Hario (if it is the ceramic kind) will go a long way to improving your results.

As an example I am currently pouring a great El Salvador Honey process light roasted to perfection. Here’s my process...

1.) Heat 12 ozs. of filtered water to 200 degrees

2.) Fill both cup and ceramic pour over with hot tap water

3.) As water comes to temp, empty cup and ceramic pour over..pat both dry with a towel

4.) place paper filter in the pour over and saturate just the paper with 2 oz. of heated water...empty excess water from the cup

5.) grind 17 grams of coffee and add to the pour over

6.) begin the pour over with saturation of the coffee bed and allow to bloom for :30-1:00

7.) after the bloom; slowly pour the remaining 8-9 ozs. of water slowly over the coffee bed

The brewing process from there takes about 1:30-2:00 to complete if your grind size is within proper range.

Too fast and you should grind finer.

Too slow and you should grind courser.

Once your timing is down, you can begin to play with some of the other parameters depending on your personal tastes.

+/- on the coffee ratio will determine strength of flavor.

Add brew time can add depth or complexity depending on the roast and bean origin, but can also drown out fruitier or floral notes

Less brew time can allow fruitier or floral notes to shine through but can also lead to a less complex flavor

Higher temperatures can deepen the more cocoa centric nature of a coffee, but can also add bitterness

Lower temps can expose more fruit forward flavors, but can also add sour notes.

The balancing act to make all these things work for you will become simpler with time, practice, and patience.

Enjoy the ride and the destination will be all the more rewarding.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
With pour overs it’s important to note several factors in your extraction...

1.) Temp (198-204 degrees)
2.) Time (2:00-2:30)
3.) Ratio (8.5 grams per 5 oz. water approx and to taste)

All of the above parameters are adjustable to taste, but starting with filtered water and pre-warming your cup and Hario (if it is the ceramic kind) will go a long way to improving your results.

As an example I am currently pouring a great El Salvador Honey process light roasted to perfection. Here’s my process...

1.) Heat 12 ozs. of filtered water to 200 degrees

2.) Fill both cup and ceramic pour over with hot tap water

3.) As water comes to temp, empty cup and ceramic pour over..pat both dry with a towel

4.) place paper filter in the pour over and saturate just the paper with 2 oz. of heated water...empty excess water from the cup

5.) grind 17 grams of coffee and add to the pour over

6.) begin the pour over with saturation of the coffee bed and allow to bloom for :30-1:00

7.) after the bloom; slowly pour the remaining 8-9 ozs. of water slowly over the coffee bed

The brewing process from there takes about 1:30-2:00 to complete if your grind size is within proper range.

Too fast and you should grind finer.

Too slow and you should grind courser.

Once your timing is down, you can begin to play with some of the other parameters depending on your personal tastes.

+/- on the coffee ratio will determine strength of flavor.

Add brew time can add depth or complexity depending on the roast and bean origin, but can also drown out fruitier or floral notes

Less brew time can allow fruitier or floral notes to shine through but can also lead to a less complex flavor

Higher temperatures can deepen the more cocoa centric nature of a coffee, but can also add bitterness

Lower temps can expose more fruit forward flavors, but can also add sour notes.

The balancing act to make all these things work for you will become simpler with time, practice, and patience.

Enjoy the ride and the destination will be all the more rewarding.

Hi Tbone666,

Thanks for posting such a thorough step-by-step guide to making a pour over.

It's very much appreciated.

~ Rose

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone.
I recently decided to try a hario v60 as I really enjoy the fruity notes I can occasionally get with my TV and thought I might be able to dial it in a bit more. However I have tried a few different techniques, most recently Scott Rao tech, and grind settings to get a good cup. The coffee I am using is a freshly opened bag that was roasted less than a month ago. Filtered or bottled water. Anyway I've adjusted by grind size from 15-28 on the virtuoso and for the life of me can't get rid of that bitter taste. I feel like the grind size is getting really coarse at this point and most suggestions I've seen have been on the lower grind settings. You guys have any advice??

Hello Harry "New Guy", lol! From your post, I can tell you are referring to being new to the forums and not new to coffee. You may want to explore the water you're using.

For those with less experience in coffee than Harry, I am posting a couple of links that address the importance of TDS, alkalinity & pH, and sodium thresholds in the brewing process. Taste can be affected significantly if these factors are ignored.

Link to Ifinca article Coffee Science: What Is TDS and Why Should You Care

Link to Specialty Coffee Association of America's Water for Brewing Standards

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
The lighter roasted coffees are less bitter.

I have figured out a dial position on my grinder of 20, and a 17 to one ratio of water to grounds, is how I like my coffee. When I brew a dark roast coffee, I go to a coarser grind (something like 25 on my machine). Then I decrease the ratio of water to grounds, like 16, (use slightly more grounds). It makes a delicious non bitter coffee out of the dark roast.

The problem is to remember to return the grinder to the finer setting when I make a lighter roast.

I generally prefer a light roast coffee anyway, and there is more caffeine, always a plus.

onemorecoffee

Jul 24, 2023
New York
Visit site
Hello everyone.
What is the roasting degree of the coffee beans you use? Generally, dark roast beans tend to be more bitter. If you are using medium or light roast coffee beans, you may be making a technical mistake. You can try the James Hoffmann Aeropress Recipe.

Last edited:

roastrica

Jul 24, 2023
Hendamylov3@1
Visit site
It sounds like you've already put in a lot of effort to dial in your Hario V60 brewing technique, but you're still experiencing a bitter taste in your coffee. Here are some additional tips that may help you achieve a better cup:

1. Water Temperature: Ensure you're using water at the right temperature. The ideal range for brewing with a Hario V60 is between 195°F to 205°F (90°C to 96°C). Water that is too hot can extract bitter flavors from the coffee.
  2. Brew Time: Pay attention to your brew time. If your coffee is brewing too quickly, it may lead to under-extraction and sourness. If it's brewing too slowly, it could lead to over-extraction and bitterness. Aim for a total brew time of around 2.5 to 3.5 minutes.
  3. Brewing Ratios: Experiment with different coffee-to-water ratios. A common starting point is using 1:15 to 1:17 coffee-to-water ratio. For example, if you're using 20 grams of coffee, try using around 300-340 grams of water.
  4. Bloom Technique: Make sure you're using a bloom phase in your pour-over process. Start by adding just enough water to wet all the coffee grounds evenly, allowing them to "bloom" for around 30 seconds before continuing with the main pour.
  5. Pouring Technique: Pay attention to your pouring technique. A slow and steady pour, along with pouring in concentric circles, can help ensure even extraction and prevent channeling.
  6. Grind Distribution: Check the consistency of your coffee grounds. If you're using a burr grinder, ensure that the grind distribution is even to avoid both over-extraction and under-extraction.
  7. Coffee Quality: While you mentioned that your coffee is freshly roasted, it's still worth considering the quality of the beans. Different coffee beans have varying levels of bitterness based on their origin and roast profile.
  8. Experiment Gradually: When making adjustments to your brewing technique, do so gradually. Make one change at a time, and taste the results to see how each adjustment affects the flavor profile.
  9. Water Quality: Although you mentioned using filtered or bottled water, consider the mineral content of your water. Water with too high or too low mineral content can impact the taste of your coffee.
  10. Patience and Practice: Brewing coffee with the Hario V60 can be a delicate process that requires patience and practice. Keep experimenting, tasting, and refining your technique until you achieve the desired flavor profile.
Remember that taste is subjective, and finding the perfect cup of coffee often involves a lot of trial and error. Take note of your adjustments and how they affect the taste, and don't hesitate to make further tweaks until you get the flavors you enjoy. Happy brewing!