New guy

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
While I've been grinding my own beans for a long time I started out like I suppose a lot of folks have. I started out with a spice mill that I used for a long time and was able to figure out by shaking it and amount of time to come up with a decent grind. At the same time I went thru various drip coffee machines, Mr coffee of course but I had a Hamilton Beach I really liked but they kept leaking. Then I ran into a guy where I work that was ordering beans from coffeebeandirect for others at work to get past the shipping charges so I joined in. I eventually ended up wanting something better so I jumped on Google and came up with a Baratza Virtuoso and the Bunn Phase Brew. All I can say is WOW.

We used the Bunn for a couple years every day and didn't have any of the problems a lot of people were posting about. Then my wife was gifted a Keurig Mini and I was intrigued but couldn't find any K cups that I liked. So I tried the little contraption that came with it to use my own coffee but what a pain so I ended up with some Solo's and Ekobrew's. I figured out if I filled them and only used 6 oz of water it made a pretty good cup for the convenience. While still using the Bunn every once in a while the convenience of the Keurig won me over.

A few months ago I decided to dig the Bunn out and again all I can is WOW. I couldn't believe how much better the beans I was using tasted. Last weekend my Bunn failed and to say the least I was on the search for a new machine. After much research I decided on the Technivorm Moccamaster Cup-One. My reasoning for getting the one-cup is I know my wife won't stop using the Keurig, I tried to get her to use the Bunn when I brought it back out but it is to much work for her so I wanted something easy and didn't waste coffee and the cup-one fit what I was looking for. It is suppose to be here today so I'm a little excited to say the least.

I joined looking for tips on my new machine and also want to start trying some coffee from different vendors. My last order was some Mocha Java from Equator Coffees that is very good. I've also been tossing around the idea of roasting my own beans but need to do some more research on this one.

Thanks for your time.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Duffyjr...welcome to the forums. You are going to loooooove your Technivorm! I had one that got stolen and really miss it. I hope you find the forum as entertaining and educational as I have over the years. Again..Welcome!

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
The Technivorm's are the best... if you're sold on single cup it's probably one of the best ways to go. If you do choose to go to bit larger capacity (for entertaining) their larger units are great... or check out the Bonavita's.

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
The Technivorm's are the best... if you're sold on single cup it's probably one of the best ways to go. If you do choose to go to bit larger capacity (for entertaining) their larger units are great... or check out the Bonavita's.

I was going to get the Bonavita BV1900TS until I ran across the cup-one. I like the idea of not having to mess with a carafe.

As I was searching and discussing with the wife what I wanted to buy she said when her dad passed away she brought home a Chemex and an old Pyrex french press, so I plan on playing around with those some day.

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
Duffyjr...welcome to the forums. You are going to loooooove your Technivorm! I had one that got stolen and really miss it. I hope you find the forum as entertaining and educational as I have over the years. Again..Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome. I wonder if I should go buy a lock and chain....

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I was going to get the Bonavita BV1900TS until I ran across the cup-one. I like the idea of not having to mess with a carafe.

As I was searching and discussing with the wife what I wanted to buy she said when her dad passed away she brought home a Chemex and an old Pyrex french press, so I plan on playing around with those some day.

You're on the right track then... you honestly can't go wrong with either of your choices. It all comes down to personal preferences and brewing volume. If you do go to larger volume unit I do recommend the stainless carafe's vs. glass. It keeps everything warmer... but again... that's my personal preference. Good luck and keep asking questions if you have them!