New here! wanting to open coffee shop - excited and very nervous! help please

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
PinkRose has it right.

We looked and waited for 18 months, including 3 separate negotiations -- one we cancelled 45 minutes before our scheduled signing, before we found the right space/location.

Even if you have money to burn, it's much wiser to treat it as if you are poor.

authentic

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Jhon P! I wish I only enough to burn hahaha. Maybe the right opportunity will come along. I have to be patient and look around. When it's ment to be and speaks to me that would be the right location. In a meanwhile I should focus on maybe purchasing good equipment. I am planning to sell Cuban authentic coffee. Already have supplier lined up and ordered some too. Tastes just like in Cuba :)
It is very hard to.come by and no other shop has it here in the city. Everyone has different flavour taste buds and some may disagree, however I was paying attention to tourists in Cuba and comments in Canada...it is addictive and delicious as well as highly recommended by tourists.
I also wanted a good Cuban vibe in the coffee shop too. Kinda like getting my customers to feel a bit of that tropical paradise while they enjoy their coffee until their next trip to Cuba

Last edited:

Tyger

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Folks have raised quite a few red flags about this location and buying the business. As you are planning for your business I would suggest one more red flag here: the loss of the drive-through at this location. Here in Texas everyone drives everywhere, so having a drive-through is extremely important. I think in most places having a drive-through is a great way to add revenue and build your customer base. I would also echo what others said: take your time finding the right location. It will save you so much time, money and heartache down the road.

I opened a coffee business primarily because there's so little great espresso in the world and I wanted to make it available to people. Having great premium drinks is a great way to distinguish yourself from the chains and drive higher average sales price. Equipment is a big part of the equation when it comes to great espresso. I would choose your espresso grinder and machine yourself, rather than buying equipment with the business, no matter how cheaply the former owner wants to sell it.

authentic

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! I have decided to move on and find better location that is more affordable. It may take a bit of time to get the right one. Until then can anyone suggest good grinder and espresso machine? Or what brand are you guys using that is not the most expensive one? You are all amazing and really helped me open my eyes with many things! Thank you again!

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Authentic,
I am also in process of looking another location to open.
I have been searching for about a year now but still no location yet.
One of my friends who owns great location pays around 12,000 per month at 3500sqft.
When he signed up with the location, I thought he was crazy. But it has been 18 years since he opened and still going very strong.
He averages around 20,000 - 25,000 a week sales.

Yes he has great coffee and decent service but the location is the key to his success.

My advise is to take your time, research and learn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-IKwC1iujA

I added WBC signature espresso video.
If you only know very little about coffee, this clip will open your eyes what others are doing to make their cafe differ from others.

Do some more search on Youtube, Ebay, our site and other sites do educate yourself and hopefully you will be ready to take on job of owning your own cafe.

authentic

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! I have also met with a very very successful coffee shop owner to discuss tips and tricks and this location. He strongly suggests this location. Now he has no worry in the world about my coffee shop hahaha. He actually gave me some good pointer and where he went wrong when he had other coffee shops. So it felt a bit comforting gearing from him on opinion of this location. He even was nice enough to do math with me and price down inventory list I was presented by the other owner. Turns out is all worth maybe $15,000 tops. So I can see how $100,000 was a full rip off trying to sell me his business too that does not exist. The other owner is up in clouds with his numbers.