New Hires: References... what would you do?

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
So, I have interviewed a million people and I have narrowed it down to a list of candidiates that I feel would be a good fit with our store. I have checked some references and most of them are glowing. There are a couple that are not positive or are the "read between the lines" type. I guess my question is do you check refs and do you still hire someone even if you get a bad one? I am sure somewhere down the line someone may say something less than positive about me, so should I hold it aganist someone?

Kiwi Coffee

Aug 29, 2006
New Zealand
Visit site
If you have got a bad reference on someone you like, then I'd be checking with another employer or two. Don't be led by your heart and if another poor reference appears - ditch them. Personally, I'd just stick with the ones that have glowing reports and choose from one of them. Unless I really, really, really liked the look of someone else.

Remember it is harder to get rid of a bad employee than it is to hire a good one in the first place.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Great advice from Kiwi.

Check references. anything bad would be a NO. It's like people who bounce checks....it's never "only this once".

You'll never bat 1.000 as far as hiring goes, but the more scrutiny up front the better. And as far as your business goes, no employee deserves a second chance, as soon as you do that, it's too easy to spiral down the path of doom. Great employees will show themselves right off and will respect you and in turn earn respect as well.

There are those who will benefit your business. These are a yes.
There are those who will harm your business. These are a no.
There are those who will neither hurt nor harm your business.... these are a "no" most of the time, and occasionally in a pinch can be a "maybe".

Hiring is one of the greatest horrors of business. Enjoy! :D

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
Thanks for your input. Its been tough because I have gotten so many candidates without even advertising for openings. I am sure once we are open there will be more. One guy said he wouldn't rehire this one girl and she had already told me she left due to a personality conflict. To be honest, just talking to him, I thought he was a bit of an a$$ and that was before I even gave him a name. I didn't like how he treated me. I mean, if you're not interested in giving refs, just say so.

I figure I give everyone a probationary period to be fired without cause. One thing, with NJ, its an "at will employment" state, so someone can be fired for any reason at any time. Hopefully, we will weed out any bad seeds before any damage is done.

Of course, I face some challenges with the applicants I am getting with their schedules. Most are in high school and aren't available until after 4pm and few can be there at 5:30am. I'd rather hire quaity than quantitym but I think at this point, I'm stuck with quantity.

Any suggestions for scheduling?

crema123

Mar 10, 2007
Cook Islands
Visit site
I figure I give everyone a probationary period to be fired without cause. One thing, with NJ, its an "at will employment" state, so someone can be fired for any reason at any time. Hopefully, we will weed out any bad seeds before any damage is done.

Saw that and felt compelled to say something about this ... you are right, but don't let that over-ride doing a good check. Just because you can fire someone at-will doesn't mean they won't sue you. A bad seed will make up stories and try to damage your reputation, it would be an emotional & costly mistake ...

Please check references, and perform background checks before hiring. Anyone w/ financial difficulties can certianly have higher propensity to steal from you, etc.

Be very careful ...

doubledrivethru

Jan 16, 2008
Visit site
ref.

Check at least 3 references. If one is negative and the others are OK, then it might be worth a risk. I wouldn't do it. I have been lucky in the last year but if they are in High School, I call the school and ask about them. If they are in College I have found that grade point average is reflective of the kind of employee they will turn out to be. My "A" employees have been the best.
Good luck.

nemoscoffee

Jul 24, 2007
Colorado
Visit site
This is good practice for you, because you will continue to interview and hire people forever. I have found that if we hire a great person, our customers will recruit them. Good people on display in your store will always receive offers. Some will choose to stay working for you because of college, their schedule, because they like being a barista, etc. Others will accept a job in another career field.

No matter how well you hire, you will have to do it again eventually.

JD