\"New\" schearer

Dorian

Jun 21, 2007
Belgium
Visit site
Hi,

Super green Newbie here but intent on learning.

I have sampled some pretty decent coffee and espresso on occasion and am looking to recreate the experience at home. By the way I live in Belgium. Some pretty decent stuff on my travels.

Anyway, I recently purchased a Schaerer Opal for $350 used. I refurbished it with a new pump, check valves etc.

First of all, I have not come across many review of this machine. None in fact. Is it a decent machine for home use?

I want to gt the most out of this machine. It seems many features can be finetuned. How do I go about doing this? One paramater at the time? By experimenting?

I get my beans from a specialized shop but would eventually like to roast my own.

Be gentle.

Cheers,

D.

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
The Schaerer Opal (when checking on their web site), looks spookily like the Solis machines

http://www.solis.com/contens/products/c ... ffee_e.htm

I think you will agree, apart from the buttons on the front panel, they bear more than a passing resemblance. If indeed it is the same internally, then it's not a bad machine. The insides are quite robust for a small bean to cup unit and the brew group is of nice quality.

It's not really a machine for espresso, as they don't really get hot enough, all thermoblock systems all seem to suffer from this, but they will make a passable cup of joe, when using dark roasted beans (otherwise the taste is very acid).

Internal Grinder seems reasonable quality as does the general construction.

One negative point on the machine I tested and I suspect yours will be the very cool 1st shot, if the machine is left standing for a while. e.g. an espressol so cool that it can be completely taken into the mouth, immediately after it has been poured (just lukewarm)....obviously that 1st shot can't be drunk, not because it's too hot, but because it's undrinkable.

Dorian

Jun 21, 2007
Belgium
Visit site
INDEED!!! More than a passing resemblance. I found some side shots of the Solis - it is idetntical... locking plate, steam knob, and grinder adjustment. Solis being a Swiss company, Schaerer probably allowed them to rebrand to sell to a U.S. market they otherwise would have trouble penetrating alone. Logos are similar... I wonder...

According to the service manual, I can plug a laptop into the machine and reset the water temperature.

So a decent machine and dark roast is preferred. Hmmmm, I guess the next step is a thermometer.

As for the temp being a bit low... I did read somewhere that the these machines aren't too happy with the 220V - 110V conversion. This one is 220V.

Thermometer then.

What temp should it be???

8) D

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
Dorian said:
As for the temp being a bit low... I did read somewhere that the these machines aren't too happy with the 220V - 110V conversion. This one is 220V.

Thermometer then.

What temp should it be???

8) D

I am afraid because of the use of thermobollox, in the brew circuit they really have difficulty in being hot.....I think it's the balance between instantanious heating and the block melting :-D

The temperature it should be...it, unfortunately can't achieve. The temperature you should set it too....is as hot as you can, maximum. Then dark roasted coffee cuts the sourness a bit more and "bobs your uncle".

But for the money your paying, you probably have decent value...if you like superautos. I am not against super autos, if they could make coffee as good as a "proper espresso machine"....I would change to a superauto tomorrow....god yes I am lazy :D

Dorian

Jun 21, 2007
Belgium
Visit site
Thermobollox... I sense a pun here that not all will catch.

Thanks for feedback!

I just hope to get something decent out of this. Will try dark rosast this weekend.

See a thermobollox :D in these entrails?

Oh, what temp should it achieve then if it could?

coffee.jpg