New to coffee, looking for creamer suggestions

im1dermike

Sep 23, 2019
Visit site
After recently trying a cold bottle of Starbucks frappuccino, my wife and I (ages 35 and 38 respectively) have finally decided to get into coffee! After doing some research, I purchased a french press, burr grinder, scale to weigh beans and water, and some La Colombe coffee beans of various roasts. I had some very successful hot and cold brews this weekend!

I'm not sure if coffee connoisseurs turn their nose up at it, but at this time, I will only really drink a cup of coffee if there is a healthy dose of creamer (eg. Coffee-Mate french vanilla). I would expect as my tastes change, I will enjoy coffee without so much cream and/or sugar. In any event, I wanted to know if there is a better alternative to a creamer like Coffee-Mate that will add some semblance of creaminess and sweetness. One that is "approved" by the type of people who contribute coffee forums. ;-)

Thanks in advance!

wstsider

May 24, 2019
Visit site
After recently trying a cold bottle of Starbucks frappuccino, my wife and I (ages 35 and 38 respectively) have finally decided to get into coffee! After doing some research, I purchased a french press, burr grinder, scale to weigh beans and water, and some La Colombe coffee beans of various roasts. I had some very successful hot and cold brews this weekend!

I'm not sure if coffee connoisseurs turn their nose up at it, but at this time, I will only really drink a cup of coffee if there is a healthy dose of creamer (eg. Coffee-Mate french vanilla). I would expect as my tastes change, I will enjoy coffee without so much cream and/or sugar. In any event, I wanted to know if there is a better alternative to a creamer like Coffee-Mate that will add some semblance of creaminess and sweetness. One that is "approved" by the type of people who contribute coffee forums. ;-)

Thanks in advance!

Try it without and first so I can the full flavors out of the coffee because. U won’t experience the coffee at its greatness. Also what kind of flavor profiles do you like because that’s a big factor. Try out some of the beans from some of the roasters here on the forum and one I highly recommend is musicphan because his beans are amazing.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Thanks for the shoutout wstsider...

Regarding the OP questions - I would recommend using just standard cream or half-n-half, nothing with artificial flavoring. And as wstsider suggested - always try the coffee first without creamer for the best experience. Over time you will your pallet will change and you can appreciate black coffee easier. You will then really tell the differences between origins / roasts levels, etc. ALWAYS buy FRESH (and preferably direct form roaster) - that's the key IMO.

wstsider

May 24, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for the shoutout wstsider...

Regarding the OP questions - I would recommend using just standard cream or half-n-half, nothing with artificial flavoring. And as wstsider suggested - always try the coffee first without creamer for the best experience. Over time you will your pallet will change and you can appreciate black coffee easier. You will then really tell the differences between origins / roasts levels, etc. ALWAYS buy FRESH (and preferably direct form roaster) - that's the key IMO.

He should also figure out what flavors likes because it can help him out selecting beans. He might like blends or single origins or a bean from a certain origin.

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
I would contend that if you are adding large quantities of flavored and sweetened "creamer's" to your coffee, it really doesn't matter what kind of coffee you are drinking since you can't taste the coffee through all that stuff. So, all the measuring and quality beans are somewhat going to waste. I won't say it's a total waste but, yeah. I would suggest trying to just froth some skim milk with a manual milk frother. I would do about 1/3 of the liquid milk that settles to the bottom, 1/3 coffee and 1/3 foam to start. You can add more coffee as you become more acclimated to the taste of coffee. I used to like sugar and milk in my coffee. A couple decades ago I stopped adding sugar and now I can't stand the taste of any sugar in my coffee. And I can't even do whole milk. But that's just me.

709espresso

Drink what you like. If it tastes good to you, that's all that matters. Experimenting with different drinks is a great way to develop your tastes, and become more discerning. To develop your taste for coffee from different regions, I would recommend avoiding flavoured milk type products (like French Vanilla), that will fundamentally change the coffee taste, and honestly, I would avoid Coffee Mate completely. I think fresh milk products (milk, cream, half-and-half) affect overall taste and intensity of coffee, so I find it better to determine a profile of a bean using just a little milk. If you can't stomach that, then there's no point in fighting it. Drinking coffee shouldn't be an ordeal, so you really need to work with what your own taste likes.

Before getting into espresso, I drank coffee with 2 tsp sugar, or sweetener and 2% milk or coffee cream. I still do for mediocre coffee (Keurig, Tim Hortons...). For home brewed espresso, I like it with a little added hot water, a small amount of milk, and no sweetener. The coffee provides its own sweetness. It's a different drink for me. One I savour as a dessert.