New to coffee!

its-exit

May 12, 2008
Miami, FL
Visit site
I recently got hooked on Coffee after my Ex-girlfriend made me an AMAZING (or so I think lol) cup of coffee.

She used beans she baught from Publix and grinded herself.

After doing some research on coffee I have come to the conclusion that there is still A LOT to be desired.

What is the best coffee to buy at Publix already grinded?

Im sure my question is probably crazy to you all but let me clarify why I ask.

I don''t have a job right now and my dad buys the coffee for me. I brew it with an old crappy Krups thing.

Untill I start making money and can purchase my own beans online (as well as another brewer) I''m stuck with whatever publix carries in stock.

So any suggestions? Or should I just go ahead and start buying randomly? :)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello,

I'm assuming thar Publix is a supermarket in your area, and they sell coffee that is both whole bean and already ground. Supermarket coffee beans are never great, but they're better than using the coffee that's sold in the cans.

If you know what kind of coffee beans your ex-girlfriend bought at Publix (and ground herself) you can always buy the same kind of beans and have them ground at the Publix store.

You're not going to be able to make the same "amazing" cup of coffee that your ex-girlfriend made for you, because she ground the beans herself and she probably used another type of coffee maker than what you have.

If you ever decide that you want to try to get back together with your ex-girlfriend, you can always call her and ask her about the coffee that she made you. Tell her how wonderful it was and that you miss it, and be sure to tell her that you miss her even more. You never know what will happen.

Good luck,
Rose

its-exit

May 12, 2008
Miami, FL
Visit site
:lol:

haha you guys are funny...

My ex and I ended on good terms and we still talk.

I have used the same beans that she has ground herself and I ground them at the store (they have a grinder on site)....

But I was asking because maybe one of the vacuume sealed beans that they sell already ground might be better than the beans they sell on site (god knows how long the beans have been sitting there)....

and yes Publix is a supermarket....

I know that my best bet is to get a grinder myself.... I'll be doing that soon... otherwise.... does anyone try the different beans at Publix?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I just relized you are in Miami...there has to be some gourmet coffee shop..maybe even a small roaster near you. Buy in small quantities and buy often. Best to buy from a in house roaster or from an online roast to order company..man up and purchase a grinder..you will not regret it! Keep us posted on your search :wink:

ElPugDiablo

its-exit said:
My ex and I ended on good terms and we still talk.
All the more reasons to get back with your ex.

its-exit said:
I have used the same beans that she has ground herself and I ground them at the store (they have a grinder on site)....

But I was asking because maybe one of the vacuume sealed beans that they sell already ground might be better than the beans they sell on site (god knows how long the beans have been sitting there)....
That is true for both bulk bins and vacuum sealed beans unless roasting date is printed on the label. Supermarket coffees are as good as supermarket seafood. Try one of your local roasters.

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
PinkRose said:
Supermarket coffee beans are never great.......
Good luck,
Rose

topher said:
I just relized you are in Miami...there has to be some gourmet coffee shop..maybe even a small roaster near you. Buy in small quantities and buy often. Best to buy from a in house roaster or from an online roast to order company..man up and purchase a grinder..you will not regret it! Keep us posted on your search :wink:

ElPugDiablo said:
That is true for both bulk bins and vacuum sealed beans unless roasting date is printed on the label. Supermarket coffees are as good as supermarket seafood. Try one of your local roasters.

jlyon10 said:
Who eats supermarket seafood?

its-exit, looks like the consensus is that if you really want good coffee, better than even your girlfriends coffee from Publix, then don't buy supermarket coffee, buy fresh and direct from a nearby roaster or coffee shop.

Truly, if you want good quality seafood for example, buy from a fish market, not a supermarket.

We're having a little fun at your expense, but there is always a lesson to learn in this forum. There are lots of knowledgeable members here.

caffe biscotto at your service. :D

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello Mr. "its-exit"

I've been away from my computer for a few days, and I just noticed some activity in your topic area.

Did you ever have a chance to find out what kind of beans your ex-girlfriend used for that "amazing cup of coffee?" It would help if you could tell us what you've already tried and what you like. Maybe some of us can come up with more suggestions for some new coffees that you could try.

Do you prefer a medium roast or a dark roast? That makes a difference too. For example, if you like the coffee that you get from places like Dunkin Donuts or McDonalds, you may be leaning towards a medium roast preference. If you like Starbucks or Peet's coffee, you may prefer a darker roast.

Another suggestion would be for you to go to a web site and order a few sampler packages of coffee and try them in your coffee maker. Here's a link to a place you could try:
http://www.bocajava.com/shop/coffee.jsp?catalogId=305

Byeee,

Rose

its-exit

May 12, 2008
Miami, FL
Visit site
PinkRose said:
Hello Mr. "its-exit"

I've been away from my computer for a few days, and I just noticed some activity in your topic area.

Did you ever have a chance to find out what kind of beans your ex-girlfriend used for that "amazing cup of coffee?" It would help if you could tell us what you've already tried and what you like. Maybe some of us can come up with more suggestions for some new coffees that you could try.

Do you prefer a medium roast or a dark roast? That makes a difference too. For example, if you like the coffee that you get from places like Dunkin Donuts or McDonalds, you may be leaning towards a medium roast preference. If you like Starbucks or Peet's coffee, you may prefer a darker roast.

Another suggestion would be for you to go to a web site and order a few sampler packages of coffee and try them in your coffee maker. Here's a link to a place you could try:
http://www.bocajava.com/shop/coffee.jsp?catalogId=305

Byeee,

Rose

excellent suggestion!

I will most definetly be doing that. Thank you!!

My ex uses medium roast... it was Brothers Coffee...