New to fresh ground - I'm confused

dridge11

Jul 14, 2006
Plano, TX
Visit site
I've always used ground coffee, but recently decided to try whole bean and got a grinder. I've tried different grinding it very fine and then more medium, but can't seem to get it quite right.

The quantity that I usually make in the morning, I used 3 scoops of ground coffee, but when I grind it myself, I use 6 scoops and it's STILL not very strong. Am I doing something wrong or does it just take more? If it does take more, why?

cawi

Apr 7, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
Grounds

Are you use to drinking ground Robusta beans?
Note the difference in caffeine content between Arabica and Robusta beans. Also note the difference in origins between the two coffees, and the roast profile. Your answer probably lies in this info.

Ellie

Dec 27, 2004
GA
Visit site
Some thoughts...

First, my understanding is that Costco uses a slightly lower grade Starbucks coffee. I have heard this "second hand", so I am not entirely sure of it. Either way, no doubt they use a commercial burr grinder, which grinds the coffee into uniformly sized particles. This grinding method produces the best-tasting coffee.

Second, there is no telling what other coffees were in the Kona Blend. The blend may have only been 10% Kona, and 90% whatever.

Third, the Cuisinart blade grinder grinds coffee into particles ranging from very fine to very coarse. Many people don't notice the difference in flavor that results from the uneven grind, but it may be contributing to your problem.

You should be able to brew your coffee just as strong as you were brewing it before. However, it will taste different b/c of the different coffee used, as well as the different grinding method used.

Don't know if this will help - just some thoughts.

blackjava

Nov 5, 2005
Canada
Visit site
I think your biggest problem is that you are using a blade grinder. If you want consistent grind you need a burr grinder. Also, if you want consistently good coffee, don't buy anything from a food store.
Look for a good roaster in your area and buy gourmet beans. It costs more but is well worth the price.

equus007

Apr 4, 2006
Austin, Tx
Visit site
stores

wouldn't go so far as to say stay away from food stores but the previous post is right in part. You are buying from mega-retailers and there is no telling how old those grounds are. Coffee has a short shelf life and it is even shorter if it is ground. Three months is pushing the limit of freshnes and I doubt Costco or Target are paying any attention to it. Try a local roaster or a smaller independant food store that buys in smaller, more frequent increments.