New to roasting! Need advice

ksbell

Sep 19, 2004
Visit site
I would like to get started roasting my own coffee and have a few concerns. What if I try it once and decide I really don't like to do it? Can I start out with just a pound or so of the green beans instead of buying hundreds of dollars worth of stuff and then hating it? (Last year, I decided to make my own soap and invested a ton of money it it. A month later, I put the stuff away and never tried it again!)

I might start out with the popcorn popper first and if I like to roast beans, move up to a "real" roaster!

So, any advice on how to get started? Where is a good source to buy beans (I live in Tennessee, USA)?

Thanks in advance!
Kim in TN

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
shhh....don't say that air roasting is not "real" you might offend some people around here :lol: You might try going to a local roaster...I wouldn't put all the money into it if you where not going to stick with it. As to buying coffee you get samples before you buy in bulk...good luck.

drrum_vi

Sep 20, 2004
arizona
Visit site
GETTING STARTED

You can get started as a hobby roaster for almost nothing. There are sites that sell by the pound.

You can get all the information you need at
www.sweetmarias.com

An air roast popcorn popper MUST have the vents on the side of the roast chamber and NOT the screen or you can start a fire.

I've purchased from them and am completely satisfied with the quality of their beans.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
but if he is going to do this as a career then he better know what he is in for. If you where closer I would let you come by my operation...you could contact Terry Davis @ Ambex...they have classes on roasting...they are located in Clearwater FL....

Quink

Feb 11, 2004
Bristol UK
Visit site
Re: GETTING STARTED

drrum_vi said:
An air roast popcorn popper MUST have the vents on the side of the roast chamber and NOT the screen or you can start a fire.quote]

I know this gets banded around a lot, but I've never seen this happen to anyone, and I know of at least 2 people who use poppers with vents in the bottom of the chamber. Has anyone ever seen this happen?