New Trend of Micro Roasting Green Beans - THINK ABOUT IT

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
As far as my being an "idiot", I see nothing wrong with giving a heads up to potential dangers, not to be so conditioned with technology to think of it like any other appliance. All appliances forewarn of potential fire, but this is far more dangerous. All it takes is chaff blocking the air in-take or the electricity going out. They don't allow cigarette smoking in apartment dwellings, neither should they allow coffee bean roasting because there are too many people who don't recognize the dangers being drugged up on medication, wine or whatever else.

Since micro roasting is trending, more people have access to new technology they've never used before far more dangerous. I provided articles citing the dangers and did not act on my own only conveying information I found on the issue. I'm concerned for my neighbors in an accidental fire, there's nothing wrong with that. Mockery only reflects poorly on anyone who has an issue with my posts. I'm not trying to hurt the home coffee roasting industry.

NHN, I personally apologize if anything I said was taken as critical of your posting. On this forum you find mostly folks who take coffee roasting seriously...not in the same vein as those who are just looking for advice on which Keurig machine is best for them. A totally different perspective. But you do have a point...the manufacturers of these roasters are concerned about selling roasters and not necessarily at how "serious" the buyer is about roasting. Like any product, and especially products that represent a clear and present danger to health and safety, I would imagine they have a vested interest in providing caution and warning statements as there is a clear and present danger of being sued in our society. Negligence could bankrupt a small concern. You are quite right in posting these concerns, despite providing fodder for opportunistic cynics to banter about the scenarios that could arise. I don't think any of us directed the 'idiot' comment at you, but rather that community of folks for which all these warnings have become necessary. I've heard that 25% of the cost of a ladder is for product liability insurance owing in part to lawsuits filed by folks who were intoxicated while climbing the ladder from which they fell. Go figure.

Cheers,

Peaberry

NobHillNotary

Aug 26, 2016
San Francisco
Visit site
It has been said that the majority of adults operate at a 3rd grade level. So to solve the issue of mass destruction at the hands of an idiot attempting to roast coffee, prior to purchasing a coffee roaster one must ask a group of friends if they believe you are one of those 3rd graders. If the MINORITY of them say yes, then by all means DO NOT PURCHASE OR USE A COFFEE ROASTER!

Len

It's for that very reason that adults operate at a naive childlike level that I gave out the warning. A toyish looking coffee roaster that has a glass enclosure that requires you to pull it out to get to the beans is't the same as many roasters. It's a dangerous design. Regarding your burning hatred and seething rebellion against wanting to prevent fires, I hope you're not one of those who sets fires to our forests for kicks. Someone who likes to mock people who are cautious about fires, seems you likely want to bring people down into hell fire along with you.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
NHN,

Perhaps you believe this statement: "one must ask a group of friends if they believe you are one of those 3rd graders" was directed at you. I disagree. Maybe you should ask Len before blasting him. Just sayin'....

Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
NHN,

Perhaps you believe this statement: "one must ask a group of friends if they believe you are one of those 3rd graders" was directed at you. I disagree. Maybe you should ask Len before blasting him. Just sayin'....

You are correct, Mr. Peaberry. If the comment was directed to NobHill I would have prefaced it with a quote from NobHill.

Now on to NobHill: Very poor entrance to CoffeeForums. Take a Chill Pill dude, the World does not revolve around you.

Len

Last edited:
We cannot look at the statistics because they don't exist.
So all we can do is offer opinion.

My 2c:
IMHO an attended coffee roaster is significantly less dangerous than...
1. a BBQ
2. a candle
3. Frying something with oil on a stove
4. The list goes on.

The key thing as many other people and the instructions that every roaster I have ever seen mentions is to never leave a roaster unattended when it is operating.

Last edited:

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
However your roast may be safer then the Gene Cafe machine I purchased for home use, did you ever think to consider your experience isn't the same as other's experiences? Your being in Peru is far different.
i could imagine coffee roasted in a glass enclosure would have significant safety issues. i have a roaster that's been fabricated in Peru, and i take roasting seriously. the drum itself is of stainless steel. i also have a fire extinguisher within reach. all my roasting is done in a 3500 sq. foot facility.

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
I've got a strong belief in God but somehow I'm not sure if he's that interested in which coffee roaster we should buy. Especially if He leads you down the road of buying an explosive, fire trap of a coffee roaster. It doesn't seem to be in keeping with His character.

To quote Mr. Peaberry, just sayin'.