Newbie here, need espresso machine advice!

KennethJHaynes

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
espresso machine advice!

Haii, you have to be careful when you buy a used one and chances of getting damage is high for an equipment like that. If you are looking an espresso coffee machine for long time, I suggest you to buy a new one for your business. I am using an espresso coffee machine of taceesi.com from last 5 years and I maintained it perfectly. Whether it is new or used, maintaining it will last for 10+ years.

kusakk

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,

You have possibly already made a purchase, though i thought i'd drop in a comment just in case you are still looking.

I own a couple of cafes and a roasters in Sydney, Australia and in my experience it pays to look to your current market for coffee machine brands. Look at what your competitors use and who services them, go taste their coffee or go to your favourite cafe and find out what machine they use and who services it.

It is important when purchasing a machine to first choose a machine technician as they are the ones that will keep you in business. Give them a call and ask them for a second hand machine recommendation or even if they have any for sale. Often they are so confident that their machine won't break down, they will loan it out to you. This way you may even be able to start with a 2 group machine, then scale up as you get busier.

Second hand machine are a little tricky, that's why I would recommend talking to machine technicians first.

Cheers,

Angus

Blueridger

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Thank you to each one of you that has replied with helpful wisdom and insight answers as to which brand of espresso machine to purchase. At this point we still have not yet made that purchase, we have purchased a few other necessary coffee shop equipment pieces but I am still researching the espresso machines! Is there anybody here that is familiar with the Faema E91, or a Simonelli Appia vs Simonelli Auriela? Any insight on these? I know that there is a technician nearby that repairs either one. is one better than the other, more expensive to repair? ANY warnings? Your help is GREATLY appreciated!!! I got busy with my current job and that is why there was no response for a while....sorry!

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Faema is an excellent machine and I am thinking about getting their 2 group Legend. They are UL approved and I do not do a lot of espresso shots so it will last me quite awhile. My Alex Duetto II does a great job but is not UL approved. If I had the business I would purchase the Synesso Hydra....17K and counting

Darthespresso

Aug 12, 2011
Big Apple
Visit site
Well first of all Your coffee roaster can help. Most 3rd wavers use La Marzocco. Synesso. each make has its merits, and used machines, you can afford a 3 group.
Grinders are a dime a dozen used. One grinder one task when the are used., but replace blades on purchase.
put up pics of machines you are looking at helps, links helps/

Coffeefix

Dec 17, 2014
United Kingdom
Visit site
Hi Blueridger,
I'm based in the UK but get asked to same question regularly - not easy to answer.
A quick look at ebay or similar and I see plenty of used machines that I personally wouldn't touch for a few good reasons.
Most manufacturers make several different models, 1 group, 2 group compact, 2,3 and maybe even a 4 group, high group versions to help when using taller take away cups, auto (dosed) or semi auto, PID systems, external/internal pumps, one or two steamers, hot water with or without economiser valve... The list of options is long
Guess what, they change these models regularly and when you consider there are 300+ manufacturers all doing the same, ordering spares can be hard work at the least.
Most cheap machines are cheap for a reason.
CCafe was right, find a local repairer and see what they recommend. If you find a local coffee company with their own engineer, this can be a good thing too - they want you to have a reliable machine so you buy more coffee.
A good 2 group, auto, high groups if you are intending a lot of take away trade with a decent size boiler/matched element should provide decent hot water output unless you want a separate boiler? A 3 group at a good price can be ok too but generally need a bigger power supply and honestly, even in a busy cafe, you rarely see all 3 groups running at the same time so don't worry too much.
I used to work with Cimbali and would say that their older machines are easy to fix and spares are not too hard to find. Trouble is the groups get a bit hot if left a while and some parts can be expensive.
Older Gaggia machines, Faema, CMA (Astoria), Fiorenzato - most of these "big" names are ok for spares.
My personal favourite - Rancilio. Well made, an established company with a good website that has downloads for spares, tech info, owners manuals...
Another consideration: How long do you intend being in business? You will have a machine that (with a little skill and a decent set-p) turn 7 grams of coffee at a few cents into a cup of coffee worth a few dollars... Do the math (for those of you in the UK, maths!). We buy our coffee in Kilo bags because we are all European and stuff and generally use around 7 grams per shot of espresso, so 1 kilo = 1000g (2.2lbs) divide that by 7g and you could potentially get 142 or so shots. You won't because you'll waste some but you can see where I'm going with this...
In short, the profit on two or three cases of coffee might well pay for a new, swanky machine?
You are welcome to go buy a second hand machine if you don't have the cash and take the risk if you prefer but give a thought for us engineers just for a moment.
I get calls every day from people with machines that they bought second hand:

1. No I don't have a touchpad for a 1976 Faema, I can get one but not before next month.
2. Your customers won't wait that long.
3. You have a coffee shop, no coffee.
4. Do I call out with the limited spares I have to see what I can do and give you an invoice although I can't repair it (oh I'm soooo popular then) or do I go and see the other client that paid for their new machine because their friend recommended us?
5. I have to listen to people pleading with me to help fix their horrible old machine. It's sad and I like to be helpful but really don't do it.
6. Even if I fix it, it will go wrong again next week then you'll be on the phone again and I'll be sad.

So, you wanted a name, a size, a recommendation...

A 2 year old Rancilio Classe 9 (Xcelsius if possible) 2 group auto, high group with regular steam injectors, not the auto milk frother is what I would go for. Oh, make sure it hasn't been used much (people lie) and has a full service history by a factory trained technician. Good luck.

Or a new one, from your local supplier... With a warranty... set-up... staff trained for free? For the extra cost of the profit on a case or two of coffee!

katy2

Jul 7, 2016
Visit site
I have been reading for months and trying to make some decisions. We are in the process of opening a coffee shop and trying to decide on an espresso machine. I need help trying to figure out which brand of machine? We are leaning towards a semi-automatic. We will be located one block off campus of a major university. Not sure what the traffic flow will be, no drive thru. Approximately 1250 sq ft for the seating area. I am guessing a 2 group is big enough or perhaps a 3? Nope, money does not grow on trees in my back yard so we will be purchasing a used espresso machine. Any help, kind advice would greatly be appreciated!

i m not a coffe machine great expert,cause i didn t have much experience with them and haven t used a lot of them,but i know one very important thing- used things are used things and you ll understand it when you run into it, if you buy cheaply, you pay dearly,cause you ll never know how long it was in the use and it can break down very quickly, i advise you to search for a new coffee machine but at a reasonable price,10 Best Home Espresso Machine Reviews ? TOP Choice here i ve found several models you can be intrested in

espressogurus

Aug 31, 2016
Baltimore, MD, USA
Visit site
Many factors have to be considered for picking a espresso machine

I have been reading for months and trying to make some decisions. We are in the process of opening a coffee shop and trying to decide on an espresso machine. I need help trying to figure out which brand of machine? We are leaning towards a semi-automatic. We will be located one block off campus of a major university. Not sure what the traffic flow will be, no drive thru. Approximately 1250 sq ft for the seating area. I am guessing a 2 group is big enough or perhaps a 3? Nope, money does not grow on trees in my back yard so we will be purchasing a used espresso machine. Any help, kind advice would greatly be appreciated!

Before you can decide what machine is best for your cafe there are many factors you must consider. The size of the machine and available space at your cafe, you budget (Since espresso machines can cost from $1000 upto $30,000) the type of machine you want (since your the only one who knows what you want the machine to do). Espresso machines come in 4 major types. Manual, Semi-Automatic, Automatic and Super Automatic. If you opening a Cafe you must know what each type does and does not do. I was reading this article that explains all of this and also gives you list of top ranked espresso machines for each type. I think you should read this article it will help you understand and also help you make your final decision on the best espresso machine for your cafe. I've included the link below.

Let me know what you think and if the article helped.

Semi Automatic Espresso Machine VS Automatic Espresso Machine

Karlaf

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Hello I need help finding out what mode is my machine, it needs a heathing part but can figure out how tonroder it IMG_3309.JPG