Newbie with Business FAQs - Help

ahollinger

Dec 31, 2008
Visit site
Hello CoffeeForum.com,

I'm new, just joined yesterday.

My wife and I are planning to open a coffee shop in the next 2 to 5 years. In our research and study, the literature says things like, "try to find vendors with representatives in your area in case you need an emergency repair, or your orders are messed up (e.g. a box of cups instead of a case)."

This makes perfect sense.

However we've gotten no advice on how or where to find this vendors. I'm looking for equipment (espresso machines, ice machines, freezers) vendors, coffee vendors, and supply vendors (cups, lids, etc). You know the drill.

So how do I find these people?

Thanks!

Andrew Hollinger

wilswife

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
You can always start online looking into Commercial equipment. I have had the best luck finding wholesale roasters in my area. Most of the ones near me also sell equipment. You'll want to start chatting with them. They won't all sell the same exact brands, but I think you'll find one that you trust more than another for equipment and so on. You'll also "Click" with one more than the others as well. I find that I get all my equipment from the one I trust the most. . . I get my espresso and coffee from the one who has the best espresso and coffee, and is close enough that if I need something quickly I can get it fast.

When it comes to chocolate and syrup from the supplier who's the cheapest, and the closest. Again, you want to make sure you "Click" with them, because you will run out of some flavor and you'll need to either have him drop it by or you'll have to run and get it.

I have found that getting as much locally as you can is much better than ordering it from a distance. We started out ordering stuff from the other side of country, and it would take days for our shipments to get here, and when mistakes were made the shipping charges to fix problems about gave me a heart attack. Plus, the local guys really want you to be successful, and they will go the extra mile to help you.

You can call Monin, Ghirardelli and so on, ask them for the local distrubitor and they'll give you the contact numbers.

Ellie

Dec 27, 2004
GA
Visit site
Andrew,

You are smart to identify these sources early on and get pricing. The more research you do, the more little costs you discover...helps with the business plan. If you can attend any of the trade shows, you'll find an absolute wealth of information on suppliers. Also, run searches on this board to get suppliers that have been recommended by coffee pros.

Have fun!

Ellen