No broken beans what is the secret?

Jan 22, 2005
Visit site
Northwest Javas post in my erlier question about post or pre roast blending at home has led me to ask another question.
Many years ago when was at Uni- I worked as a barista in the university coffee shop. We got our beans from a roasting company in Melbourne. The coffee beans were nearly nearly always perfect. By this I mean not broken or in pieces. Just the other day I was looking inside a can of Ily coffee from Italy. I was surprised to see a number of broken beans. When I roast at home I try to remove the broken beans after I roast. Is there a right or wrong in this. Northwest Java seems to indicate he hates broken beans. How about the rest of the roasters? :)

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
before we had hire meanjoebean to be our second shift roaster we had a local roaster roasting our flavor base. They looked horrible...had to throw out a lot of it. See their cooling bin had dents and dips in it . When the cooling arms would spin they would crush the beans as it cooled...it isn't a nice presentation when you are selling coffee for $10 and up a lb.!

everydaygourmet

Nov 15, 2004
Visit site
correct me if I'm wrong....but doesn't a lot of that have to do with the qualiy of Green beans you/your roaster are using in a lot of instances?

I know that I have been roasting 10-20 lbs per week, and I see some beans are awesome, and seems the final product is usually better looking as well....not always, but usually.

My 2 cents on it.

:-D

good luck

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
that could also be it...but in our case it was the cooling bin...We are using the same coffee now, just a different roaster...no broken beans.