No leasing to independent coffee shops - need help.

finist

Apr 24, 2006
Canada
Visit site
We are doing first steps on a road to start a coffee shop. First reaction to find a location is negative. Place owners do not want any more coffee shops in Toronto - "we have enough of them already!". I agree with them - we have enough Starbucks, Second Cups, Timothy's and Tim Hortons but where are independent coffee shops in Toronto? I did not see any list but from my knowledge we have maybe five-ten?
What should we tell or what should we do to find a location? And we need the best location because this is the most important thing in opening a coffee business.
All the best places are taken by big guys and there are so many of them that peoples opinion is "we do not need any more!"
Help!

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
Hello Serguei,

From my experience in these situations, what landlords really mean when they say "no more coffee," is "no more poorly run independent businesses that will fail." National brands or franchises are more comforting to most real estate investors than the potential of a new business, so you need to show them how your business will limit their risk and provide additional value beyond the ubiquitous everyday chains.

We have been successful in obtaining locations for clients in a number of situations where a landlord has initially said "no" by developing a clean and professional business plan, showing where similar projects have been successful in the past (and why).

I suggest that you develop such a plan and also thoroughly research the background of these prospective landlords and gather information that may be used in your presentation - you'll be amazed how effective tailoring your proposal to the interests of decision-making parties will be.

Best of success,

Andrew

Muddycup

Dec 4, 2005
New York
Visit site
What makes it hard for you is that you don't have a track record or like cafemakers says something to show the landlord who and what you are and what makes you different. Having a business plan, a concept, a menu and sketches ane photos of layout and what the store will look like and how you will add value to their building, this is what they want to see. In other words you need to present yourself as professional as the big chains do.

finist

Apr 24, 2006
Canada
Visit site
Thank you all for your reassuring words! I think you are right - it is just a little bit sad to see big chains on every corner and not enough real coffee.
On the other hand that is exactly why we want to open an independant coffee shop!