Notice most perishables are dated EXCEPT for coffee beans?

doubleR

Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
These days virtually every food item in the supermarket is freshness dated with the glaring exception of coffee beans.

I presume the major coffee bean suppliers do this intentionally. If their bagged coffee were dated, the markets would pull the expired coffee, causing product returns, thereby reducing profits.

Peet's even has this meaningless phrase phrase on their bags: "Freshness Pledge: Peet's Coffee is with 90 days of roasting." Sounds impressive, but--here's the kicker--there's no date! Big deal--at some point, EVERY coffee bean is within 90 days of roasting.

:evil:

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Well D.R. you make some good points about the non dating of roasted beans. It's for that reason that some good specialty coffee roasters don't put their coffees on the shelves at the super markets and in coffee bins because of the freshness issue. In my humble opinion if you wish to get the freshest coffee possible then shop on line. I can't speak for all roasters, but most will ship you coffee within a couple of days after roast. Give it a shot. 8)

ourcoffeebarn

Nov 8, 2004
Wisconsin
Visit site
I agree with Coffee Guy, most online roasters ship within 24 hours of roasting! Iknow that I do and I believe that Coffee Guy does too! Give an internet based roaster a try, you won't be dissapointed!

GCS

Jun 4, 2005
Visit site
I believe the reason they don't put a freshness date on coffee is that they don't have to. Coffee labeling regulations are very lenient, and you don't even have to specify the type of coffee it is.

An interesting note on that topic that most consumers don't realize -

Many coffee roasters are trying to get into the gourmet coffee industry as it is growing rapidly, so they want to sell the new hot 'Kona' coffee. The roasters therefore make a package advertised as Kona coffee, then do the most deceiving trick known to coffee roasters. Due to the lack of coffee regulations, they are allowed to put 10% Kona coffee, mixed with 90% of the cheapest coffee they can find, and advertise it as Kona coffee.

Regulations don't require that you specify the type of coffee, so this is actually legal, which is why many people are turned off from gourmet coffee buying if they buy coffee in a supermarket.

Back to the original topic, if they don't require what type of coffee, it makes sense that they don't require one to post the length of freshness.

Buy Online People, it just makes sense.