Nuova simonelli mac2000v-help please

marcus43

Sep 3, 2006
New Zealand
Visit site
Hi..from New Zealand.....we have purchased a Mac2000v as above and need to clean it.We have done the purocafe thing but the frothing pipes smell like old milk when we run steam through them.
We have taken the outlet pipes off and cleaned them so that doesnt seem to be the problem...it seems to be inside the machine itself.
When we turn on the steam without the outlet pipes it still smells???

Any advice would be great.
We have no manual as it was bought 2nd hand.

Cheers mark

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
Hopefully it's just a matter of a steam wand rebuild. Unfortunately, it is more likely that your boiler has inhaled milk resulting from incorrect use by the previous owner. You may need to replace the heating element and or boiler; possibly other internal mechanisms. You should seek assistance from a NS technician in your area.

It is dangerous to purchase used espresso equipment for precisely this reason; you're never quite sure what you'll end up with.

Good luck,

Andrew

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
The best way to deal with milk in the boiler is to simply drain it and delime it.

I use ScaleKleen which is nothing more then citric acid. I suggest that you make up a solution of acid and fill the boiler till about 1.5 centimeters from the top of the boiler and turn the espresso machine on. As soon as it starts to boil or come out the top of the tank, shut it off and let it stand for a day.

After that flush the boiler and repeat with clean water. Only this time you can flush the clean water after an hour or so. You may need to repeat this a few times to get the acid taste out of the boiler. After you have done all this, the boiler shouldn't smell of soured milk.

It sounds like a lot to do, but it is what I have to do every time it happens to a client. The good part about this is it will clean up your boiler if it was scaled up with calcium. The bad part is if you had any leaks they will most likely leak even more. This is can also chew up paper gaskets as well.

Be careful when handling citric acid. If it comes in contact with stainless steel it can discolor the surface.

DavesLT

Nov 6, 2005
Missouri
Visit site
Both of the previous postings are correct and good advice. I've run across this problem a lot in twenty+ years of espresso service and I think it is also important that you know how it probably happened, and how to avoid it happening again.

More than likely someone left the steam arm soaking overnight in a glass of water. They also probably turned the machine off and the steam arm was leaking a bit. Overnight, as the machine cools, it creates a vacuum inside the boiler which then proceeds to suck the now dirty water up through the steam wand (like a straw) and into the tank. The good news is that it is fixable, the bad news is that it's a lot of work to do because of an old bad barista habit.

Good luck, Dave