Okay, I'm a little burned out...

schmellen

Apr 12, 2006
St. Peace
Visit site
my shop is actually doing okay. we've been open 7 years, so maybe this is a 7 year itch...but I am trying to find ways to make it a little more challenging internally to me. Life circumstances (elderly Dad) keep me here. I love my shop, my customers are devoted, but...
damn, sounds like a relationship problem!
what do you do when you need to rev your engine (coffee-wise)?
thanks
JoEllen :roll:

Hey JoEllen. Why dont you do an origin trip somewhere? It would serve several purposes. Firstly it would get you out of the shop and into a totally different environment (and country). It would allow you to learn some more about coffee from a producers point of view- you would be learning while having some time to wind down. You would not be away too long, so no need to worry about your dad. I would suggest you would return to your shop with tonnes of new ideas, a revitalised view on coffee and a heap of new ideas and enthusiasm to burn. Your only memories of the Seven year itch will then be if you rent the DVD :grin:

equus007

Apr 4, 2006
Austin, Tx
Visit site
ideas

Why don't you tell us a little about your shop and where you are now. Maybe you could expand into something new like the restaurant end of the biz...it never stops. I have a friend with a shop in a VERY small town in Texas. She started doing wild game dinners and other special events(movie nights, live bands, etc.)and it not only improved her business vastly but it gave her new problems to deal with which kept her happy. Most shop owners I know are pretty smart people and smart people need new challenges to keep happy. Without them they tend to turn irratable loners(uni-bomber).

Alun is right too. I often found that just getting away(out of the country and as far as I can get from everything that is familiar to me)helps renew your vim and vigor. It can giive you a new perspective on your life. If this is not an option you can try remodeling or opening a second shop...maybe hire a GM and let them run wild for a bit with their own ideas...at least then you will have a break and maybe have a better shop when you decide to take over again(or have a massive mess to clean up) You could always sell out and start fresh but this is a major step that shouldn't be taken on a whim.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hey schmellen:

You're not burnt out, you're bored. Sometimes a vacation is a good thing, it may take your mind off the shop, but I doubt it. Most business owners I know (myself included) usually think about the operations the whole time we're gone. I do like the idea of placing a GM in your place to make the day to day decisions freeing you up to think out side of the box. Maybe even do some out side marketing. Do you have someone that's worked for you awhile and is responsible and trustworthy enough to do this? If so, that may be a thought. Yeah tell us a little bit about your place. :wink:

Anajoeri

Sep 2, 2005
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Visit site
thought

I am so moved by the wonderful replies. It is great to see how this community really is there for everyone. Good luck and happiness for all of you!

Oh, I am wondering if our coffee shop will get to the 7th year. I congratulate you for such a good job!

Sojrn

Jul 30, 2006
Mississippi
Visit site
Alun_evans said:
Hey JoEllen. Why dont you do an origin trip somewhere? It would serve several purposes. Firstly it would get you out of the shop and into a totally different environment (and country). It would allow you to learn some more about coffee from a producers point of view- you would be learning while having some time to wind down. You would not be away too long, so no need to worry about your dad. I would suggest you would return to your shop with tonnes of new ideas, a revitalised view on coffee and a heap of new ideas and enthusiasm to burn. Your only memories of the Seven year itch will then be if you rent the DVD :grin:

Thumbs up Alun_evans! Then the whole trip can be deducted from the tax man! :)

I spend way too much time behind my desk and it gets to be a drag after a while. The best way I found to get my energy back is to go our and visit our customers and other coffee retailers.

Getting exposed to other people's imagination, passions, needs, and ideas gets me going. I'd recommend that to anyone.