One lap around the world, the highs and lows.... of coffee

PatrickSimon

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Argentina - For a country with a such a huge coffee culture, the coffee is terrible. But there is a lot of it, and if you add enough milk (which they do) it gets the job done.

Chile - In general, not great. But the Cafe con Piernas (Coffee with legs, think Hooters Coffee Bar) shops actually have good coffee and trained baristas.

Uruguay - Much better, The Brazilian tourists demand it!

Thailand - Hit or miss. There was a shop in Chiang Mai that had amazing coffee, but for the life of me I can't remember the name. I will find it eventually. Most places just had generic coffee though, so look for the specialty shops!

Laos - In Luang Prabang there is a shop on the river called Saffron. Really great coffee, and the company convinced the local farmers to stop growing poppies (which is illegal) and switch to coffee instead. Don't expect to find much in Vang Vieng or Vientiane though.

Cambodia - Good stuff in Siem Reap and Phnom Penh. Sihanoukville, eh, not so much.

Vietnam - Incredible. Very, very, very strong. But also incredible. It seemed like every town there was at least one dynamite coffee shop. And if you like iced coffee (and who doesn't when the temperature never drops below 90 F), they make the best I have ever tasted.

France - Turns out the French make good coffee. Shocking! I know!

Spain and Portugal - Not terrible, but nothing amazing either. Although the quality of hostel coffee in Madrid was really good.

There you have it: my one year, one lap report on coffee of the world.
Obviously not a comprehensive list, but a good start! ;)

PatrickSimon

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Newsletters!

Hi Pink Rose,

It was quite a trip, one I think everyone should undertake at least once in their lives (its cheaper than you think too!)

My newsletter is up and running at coffee lover online dot com. I can't post the link yet, three more posts to go! ;)

I plan on sending it out twice a month and including topics like:
Reviews and Recommendations
How-to videos
News from the world of coffee
Coffee stories

Please check it out and let me know what you think! It is a brand new list and 100% free!

Thanks
Patrick Simon

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello again,

I'm wondering why you're doing a newsletter instead of a website. I try not to sign up for newsletters using my E-mail address, but I visit websites pretty regularly. Will your newsletter be available on-line or will we have to sign up to see it?

Rose

theperfectcoffeecup

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I went and checked out your newsletter and signed up......You got my interest in your intial post, why was coffee so bad in Argentina? Just Curious......seems you could really tell a story about your coffee adventure.

crwate

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
PatrickSimon, really awesome! I like what you're doing, collecting experience on different taste to coffee around the world. By the way I just got back from the Middle East, and their local coffee is somewhat different. It looks almost like tea, where it's clear, it taste a lot like ginger and wild spices, and that is definitely so different from the coffee taste we all know. If you get the chance, you should pay a visit to one of those country and try one yourself.

PatrickSimon

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
crwate - The Middle East is next on my list of travel destinations, where all did you go?

TPCC - Thanks for signing up! The poor quality of coffee in Argentina was really shocking. After looking into it for a while, I discovered the cause: Sugar. In Brazil, they take the low quality beans that they can't sell, add a bunch of sugar to the roast, and export the results to Argentina. Its kind of like adding salt to butter. I am not sure why the Argentines don't mind, but in general, the food is pretty bland in Argentina (except for the steaks!) and the bland coffee kind of goes along with it.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "PatickSimon"

Thanks for sharing your blog.

I never knew that the Coffee Nerd scale was the "international standard for measuring your dedication to coffee."

You're off to an interesting start. I'm looking forward to you sharing some of your travel/coffee experiences with us as time goes by.

Rose

IcedCoffeePhnomPenh

May 8, 2012
Phnom Penh
Visit site
Iced cambodian coffee

Cambodia - Good stuff in Siem Reap and Phnom Penh. Sihanoukville, eh, not so much.

Glad you liked it.

I've lived in Phnom Penh for 7.5 years, and have just opened a website selling Cambodian coffees - we stock Stoeung Treng and Mondulkiri coffees at the moment, but will be expanding our range shortly.
As I said - early days... but we're open for business if you'd like to get hold of good Cambodian coffee as served in many street and market cafes as iced coffee. Drop us a line if you'd like to get hold of some...

IcedCoffeePhnomPenh (I can't post links here...?)

Cheers

RnZ

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "IcedCoffeePhnomPenh"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums!

After you post to the forum a few times, you'll then be able to add a link to your posts.

If I were to do a Google search for your website, what would I be looking for?

Rose