One of the evidence to see the quality of your espresso!

pstam

Jan 7, 2005
China
Visit site
I would announce my point here first, that I would not offend any of the friends here.

As we are coming here not for hearing good words only, even if any one like to hear it, but for getting our brewing skills improved to have a better taste of espresso.

Also, as I used to be in a scientific atmosphere, we prefer to hear the trueth more than a good word because we have to go further, never stopped somewhere.

What I would like to talk about in the following is only to know the trueth, not anything else. If we were wrong, we would know it earlier, not years later. Otherwise, we waste too much time for nothing.

------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------

As one of the general understanding about the real taste of espresso in Italy, I would believe that espresso should be tasted very well. Otherwise, there is no reason why so many Italian like it. It seems that Italian people are not used to disturb nor hurt themselves by something too much bitter, because they like very good food. In fact, nobody would do it to themselves.

If the espresso in the local area is averaged good, the people there tend to like it. As we know in Italy. While for other area, if the espresso is not so good, sometimes not even drinkable, the people will never like it. I do not know how you understand it, but this is really my understanding.

From other post, I saw in some coffee shop, the sale of espresso is only about 2-3% of the total sale of coffee drinks. After I saw it, I would like to get some data from our shops.

This evening, I collected the data from one of our franchised coffee service, which is an Italian restaurant and Bar, and found that the espresso including the double and ristretto, not hammerhead or red eye, takes 14.0% of the total sale of coffee drinks. It is the data from 28 Feb. to 30 Mar. because the data for 31st is not available yet. (I counted in terms of cups, not the value because the prices is different anywhere)

I do not mean that it means something definitely, but maybe make some sense.

I would hear your comments about it, and if possible, any similar data from any other coffee shops.

Thanks in advance.

kaffa_analysis.jpg

pstam

Jan 7, 2005
China
Visit site
After a long time of discussing with friends here and other forums, I am tired of talking about the tastes, looking at the pictures, because we cannot really compare the results through those way, really.

To know something better, we collected those datas to show something, which can make some sense.

We are also going to collect the similar datas from other coffee shops for comparison. If anyone who is interedted in this subject, we would like to see the similar datas for their coffee shops.

Does it really make sense? We are not so sure. But, let's talk about it.

If you want to see the bigger picture, please go to the original forum,

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espres ... ral/127158